1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Shad Rails And Topbox

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by madasadad, Mar 8, 2018.

1. I still haven't fitted the stuff off my DVT yet as I've had to order up a couple of replacement screws, and I need to repaint the rails as they've taken a battering but everything I've looked at indicates that all the DVT stuff should fit straight onto the 1260. The standard 1260 grab-rail\rack (that the Givi base plate fits over the tope of) looks different but it's the same as the DVT where it matters. I've offered up my old DVT rack and it seems to line up just fine.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Here’s a picture of the base plate, I think it’s about the same size as the Givi one but much tidier looking. It’s also a good shape for attaching a roll bag or some other soft luggage, should the notion take you

148C60BC-3CB7-4C93-989B-22A3A00ECF56.jpeg

BE57720F-A27A-413A-9341-2F605CB32840.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The Hepko and Becker rack has 2 rails and fits on top of the rack, I've been very happy with it.
    There is a video here:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Thanks to both for the pictures!
    I will go the H&B route. I will order tomorrow the H&B luggage rack which is specific for the MTS DVT.

• Like Like x 1
  5. That looks great to me. For me, I don't really care as much about aesthetics as about function and that will hold your stuff and not look to bad as well. :)

I have an OE plate but a Givi top box on my DVT. I think the top box encroaches over the passenger seat too far so that means I'm going to have to either buy a OE box or not take a passenger............. so I ready to go now :D

6. It looks very similar to givi's monolock plate. On the givi monokey plate, kappa boxes work too. Have you thought of looking at the ventura luggage system as another option?

7. The Ventura brackets for the 1200DVT don't fit the 1260 rack, as I found to my surprise. They've changed it just enough to foul on the rack, even though the mounting holes underneath are the same. Ventura don't yet make a 1260 model

8. The Shad one takes 10kg where as the Hepco is only rated for 5kg as far as I know

9. Just keep in mind that regardless of the capacity of the actual box, the owners manual states the max luggage capacity should not exceed 30Kg:-

10Kg per side pannier
    5Kg for top box
    5Kg for tank bag

Leaving aside the tank bag which isn't supported in the same way, we're more concerned with the load on the rear sub-frame. I would interpret that to mean that you're only really able to put 25Kg of luggage on the rear of the bike. If you load up the panniers to their max and then stick a box with 10Kg of weight in it then you're 5Kg over the permitted weight on the rear. The OE box is only supposed to have 5Kg in it.

That said, if you're riding without a pillion then you've got some scope for a larger top box, although you probably ought to consider just what the rails will support, rather than the box itself, keeping in mind that the OE panniers don't attach to the frame for the top box.

10. Normally a tankbag and top box is enough, pillion wimmin take so much shite that panniers are the norm, allegedly.

11. Hello gents.

This might sound a stupid question but i was wondering how is the weight in the owners manual calculated? The side panniers them selfs weigh 5kg each empty, does this mean that I can only pack 5kg in then to reach 10kg max? Same question goes for the the top case.

Im asking this because I know the grips on my 1200S 2017 are a bit fragile (pannier grip failure while taking it from the dealer while the panniers were empty. might have been my fault because i exceeded the speed mentioned in the manual while driving on the highway).

I am preparing for a long European tour and it would be a shame if a pannier issues would occur. Thanks a lot!
    Andrei

Do Not Sell My Personal Information