1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Sidestand Bolt Failure

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by doughnut, Jun 18, 2015.

1. I'll have one as well!

2. Not the 9
    not the 999 then...

3. Thanks, shame these won't fit...

4. How much for a titanium one?
    Natural colour, of course.,,

5. What do you call a deer with no eyes?

6. Nous avons aucune idee..

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Yep, I'm in. Always useful as a 'just incase' :upyeah:

8. Me too, please

9. Count me in.

10. Ok,just been out and checked my side stand,as i noticed excessive lean last time i was out,with bike on paddock stand and the side stand extended to the used position i have zero play when pulling stand away from the bike,but 10/15mm of play when pushing the stand into the bike,is this normal ?,i proceeded to strip the side stand and cannot find any premature wear to the bolt,2013 skyhook 4k miles,no centre stand fitted so side stand only, but when parked in garage its always on the paddock stand.You also stated side stand lugs are worn,if this is the case surely its the worn lugs that are the problem,leading to premature wear on the bolt ?

11. Ive read most posts and will have 1 as i think iut will fit my 2010 touring S model, if im wrong then just take me off the list cheers

12. Mine only has a couple of mm play, now. But before the bolt sheared, there was the amount of play that you are saying. In fact it was under a warranty claim at the time, as the dealer spotted the excessive play during the service. If I was you, I would grab a spare, just in case. The piece of crap oem part is £22 + vat

13. Count me in for one.

14. I will have one and fit the centre stand i have had in the cupboard for the last 2 years.

15. I'll take one. I had the same problem on 2012s, bolt snapped.

16. Doughnut, please don't think I'm being awkward. Making the bolt without the undercut will clearly reduce the risk of shearing. Do you know what the machine shop are proposing to make the bolts from ?

I'm not a metallurgist, but I would have thought if they were made from tool steel, they would be even better than normal carbon steel. Under no circumstances should they be made from stainless as you cannot torque them up, and if you try the metal will 'flow'. I speak from bitter experience when we used 500 M12 bolts on a water tank.

I will be inspecting mine later and hope you can find out what material the machinist is planning on using before I tick yea or nea.

Thanks Steve

17. He's going to make them from gold plated titanium..:Angelic:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. well as long as it comes with a Carbon Fibre washer and cap

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information