1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sincere Request - Please Help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Expat Jack, Oct 8, 2023.

1. Good days and bad but generally making progress. I’m pushing hard on physio and some days overdo it. But that’s just a desire to get fit as I can.

On the fund raising we are at £4811 now from all sources. I think it’s now dried up as nothing in in the past ten days. But, I’m chuffed with the total - much more than I had ever dreamed of raising. Cheers all!!

• Like Like x 9
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Just gone up another £50. Thank you so much.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I won’t say it was worth it then :sob: but well done rich , you turned a pretty shitty situation into something positive and the money raised will be put to very good use :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Whenever I've spannered myself, (bikes or sports) I've always overdone the physio. I properly buggered my achilles last year while boxing, I hate being unfit, so of course I went at the physio with the same zeal as a I do with training. More is better of course...? I just made it a lot worse and set back the recovery :(
    Listen to the therapists and do as they say, without overdoing it.

#104 Nelson, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sound advice. I am listening to my body as I go and using that as a yardstick. When I do overdo it it tends to be from walking and I just get knackered if I walk too far.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I just found out I have severe impingement in my rotary cuff for my left shoulder. No need for surgery, but extensive physio is needed. It's been a pain for years, however the past year it really ramped up.

I couldn't agree more on the statement, listen to the therapist. It might seem like a few stupid stretches or keeping mobile, but those stretches do exactly what the body needs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. You also need to find a good/the right therapist, some are way too generic in their approach. A good sports therapist understands the needs of the sportier person and their appetite to get back to what they love doing. As well as an understanding of the more negative and self destructive thoughts that the patient may have. Keen runners who believe they'll never run again etc.
    Proper nutrition and rest are also critical.

8. I had this after my crash on dizzy and fractured my shoulder
    I had to have scar tissue broken under GA and woke up with my arm above my head
    I had to hold a towel with my right hand to move the left as far as I could every hour after. The pain and doing it I cried for the first few hours doing it
    I had about 18 months physio at the hospital
    Little and often is better than full swing at it making it worse and going backwards
    Baby steps. It's better to be slow and steady than fast and knackered
    I get the frustration

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I too am listening to my body after my recent surgery. My body says Couch! Sleep! Gin!

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. NHS physio is next to useless ATM, along with the rest of the service. I'm lucky if I get to see mine for 1/2hr every 6 weeks, however it's a stage you have to go through if you want to eventually see a consultant or get an MRI.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Mines says couch, herbal remedy, sleep....o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. You load of old cronks :D

I include myself o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. My NHS physio has been very good. I have breathing exercises plus walking. My shoulder is a bit of a mess. I disclocared it playing rugby in my 20’s. Had it operated on. Sublicated it about 5 years back and now contending with re dislocation, broken collar bone and sternum. The sternum is fine. The collar bone is so far as I can tell fixed. The shoulder is an issue. I am not overdoing exercises on this - I am following instructions. I have been on the rubber band strengthening exercises for the past week and that is making a big difference. Patience.
    @razz i wish I could have s drink. Been dry since 2nd Sept on doctors orders as my internal organs heal. Roll on Christmas. :beer:

• Like Like x 5
  14. When I put myself in hospital in 1981, shattered kneecap and elbow, I was on 'The Biker's Ward'. You could smoke on the wards back then, which seems unbelievable now.

My mate brought me a chunk of hash, so I learned how to roll a joint one-handed. The only guy who wasn't a biker, who'd broken his neck playing football, was the only one mobile, so he passed them round from bed to bed. It must have reeked, but none of the staff said a word.

One guy eventually lost his leg when it refused to heal.

When I got out I rebuilt the bike, almost from the ground up, with arm and leg still in plaster (hardest bit was kicking it over when finished). Meanwhile I took a class at the local Tech.

That was the first time I was told I'd get arthritis. Possibly I have now, 40 years later, but actually I can still do everything. Also, in the 2005 crash where I damaged my hand, they wanted to fuse the ring finger. When I understood what that meant, I declined. Almost 20 years on and I still ride bikes, no problem (and fingerpick guitar).

• Like Like x 5
  15. My shoulder op was also in the 80’s. They let your mates bring alcohol in for you. Seems bonkers nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. That was where I was introduced to Old Peculier, courtesy of the guy in the next bed! :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. In the 80's it was quite usual for patients to be prescribed whiskey in hospital. As sad pharmacists we felt obliged to add an expiry date - a year seemed reasonable despite whiskey improving with age :)
    Not sure what happened to the 'expired' whiskey but there were good Christmas parties in those days :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  18. That’s brilliant. :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  19. I remember the surprise when I could finally get out of bed, and was so weak I could have thrown up. Doesn't take long for muscle tone to go.

20. An unfortunate accident also in the 80's left me in Wythenshaw burns unit for a month or so. All adult patients had a red plastic crate of stout beside their beds, supplied by the hospital. We were all on a target consumption of 6000 calories a day, and this "supplement" was felt to be a good way for us to achieve it. Awful stuff.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information