Sincere Request - Please Help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Expat Jack, Oct 8, 2023.

1. About 10 years ago I bashed up my left leg and foot in a road bike RTA. No broken bones, (well, one in my foot that they missed) however, a lot of soft tissue damage. I was discharged from hospital with a bottle of paracetamol, which I was charged hamsomly for and provided zero aftercare/physio arrangements. My leg was strapped up for a while and I had to use a stick to move about.
    I gave myself a goal of being able to walk to the postbox, which is approx' 100m from my front door. I couldn't even get down my path on day one. I persevered a day and a lamp post at a time.
    When the bandages came off, my leg had shrunk by approx' 20% through lack of use. I then started building the leg back up with single leg exercises at home then the gym.
    It's shocking how quickly muscle atrophy sets in, especially as we age.
    Keep moving...:upyeah:

#121 Nelson, Nov 16, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Hey Richard.
    It's always best to listen to your physio and do whatever they say!
    I know, I married one!
    Here's to a speedy recovery!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. @Expat Jack ,

first of all apologies for not posting sooner, for obvious reasons as soon as I read the first few lines and saw the air ambulance pic I closed the thread and have not returned until now.

Hope you are doing ok and managing as best you can. I wish you the speediest recovery and hope you’re back to full speed in no time.

I will certainly be digging deep and making a contribution to your most worth cause. The work they do is beyond words and there is no more comforting sound than those heli blades as the hero’s decend.

best wishes
    Slingy

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. Morning Slingy. Thank you so much and I have to say I am full of admiration for you in reading the thread after what you have been through - and continue to do so reading your latest post.
    I’m was doing well but have had a setback this week with health that is under consideration by the consultants. Once I know the full facts I will update everyone. It’s a long and frustrating road to recovery and people tell me how amazed they are at my progress. It just doesn’t feel like it to me.
    Stay strong buddy - the whole forum is rooting for you I know. :punch:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 2
  5. :upyeah::punch:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oh wow. This is before gift aid and direct donations. Thank you all so much. IMG_0570.png

• Like Like x 12
  7. That’s a lot of Wotsits :upyeah:
    Bloody good show that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. An update for you all but firstly, thank you to members who have PM'd me enquiring about my progress. Plus the usual culprits who I swap far too many WhatsApp messages with daily.

Healthwise the Docs say I am doing amazingly. It is six months to the day today and the fact that I can walk, talk, breath, eat and sleep is a credit to them. I do have a bit of pain to manage from my ribs/chest especially at nights, meaning sleep is fitful. I may need an operation on them and also on my pancreas. I had two scans last week - one MRI the other a CT. Results will decide the best course of action but I will hope not to have to go under the knife.

I have been driving for a few months now which is good. I walk at least 5000 steps a day and continue with physio. My shoulder is a mess - I saw the scans for the first time in February. Made me wince but it explains the trouble I am having.

Bike wise. As a special six months anniversary gift I rode a bike for the first time today. Only a 200 bhp superbike though, so thats ok. Seriously, it was just round the block on my s1000rr. It was surprisingly comfortable which was good and I had zero nerves. Probably as I cant remember the accident. The BMW was sold just now (apparently its going to be used in a film or video, I don't know what one) and I am currently down to one bike - my V2 Bayliss. I also sold my van as it was just sitting there and wouldn't be used this year at least.
    Exciting news is that a new (to me) bike has been secured and I am hoping to collect it next week. Its a bit more upright, but still bonkers! I just need to tell the wife. o_O

Finally, and most importantly, the fund raising page has now ticked up to £4076 BEFORE gift aid and company matching schemes. Including those sums its at a total of £5340.59. I remain amazed and humbled by this.

Anyway, thats it for now. I will break the news on m y new bike when it arrives - bet you cant guess what it is!

• Like Like x 19
  10. Is it a Hyabusa trike:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Tuono, Tuono, Tuono!
    (SFV4, SFV4, SFV4!)
    (KTM, KTM, KTM!)

How are you going to collect new bike if you have sold your van? Is sir having it delivered?
    Very pleased to hear that you are doing well. Keep up the physio. That mudguard you sold me will be up for sale again soon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Good for you mate, on and on!!

And I reckon you’ve gone for a Superduke R. Or I hope you have. Coz they’re ace :grinning::upyeah:

13. Done the Tuono thing. Sold it after 3 months. :astonished:

14. Though hard about that one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. A Himalayan then , sensible…

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. A what?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Great to hear your progress Richard, fantastic that you haven’t been put off bikes and are thinking of more sensible but bonkers one to get you back in the saddle!
    Also amazing to hear that even an old git like you can heal in a sort of shortish time!
    Xx

18. “Heal” is probably over egging it.
    I’m a firm believer in mind over matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. It’s a Royal Enfield tractor.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nothing so exotic.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information