1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(small) Bike Things You've Done Today

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Cream_Revenge, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Understandable as i'm on my third regular MOT station man as they all screw up sooner or later with silly things like numberplates & noisy exhausts when others don't mark you down.

2. And there you are, Ducati owning MOT tester hates the engineering excellence of a Honda so has to find a fault. With a non Honda component I might add.

3. Had similar with my M1100 chain. Was perfectly adjusted but he said it was loose.

4. Looked at the battery charger connected to the pani. Yep, battery f*cked

5. Same tester got a ‘thing’ for chains?

6. Initial checking my bevel piston clearance to see if my younger self made the correct size spacer plates for a long stroke crank.
    Appears I did ;)
    20230114_164954.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. New boots and replated shiny things... :)
    IMG_4030.jpg IMG_4032.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  8. Carried out the 6 monthly tank swap on my M1000.

Many already know this, but being plastic the tank swells up to the point where it doesn't sit on the frame properly and there isn't enough room to undo the catch at the front easily.
    Left to air for a few months with no fuel in they shrink down again, so I have two which I swap out every 6 months or so before they get so big I can't undo the catch.

Not sure how long it will be before one of them splits somewhere because of the movement, so I really should look at sealing the inside of one.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. The only real issue on my s4rs. And of course it’s a unique tank: the rest of the whole range spanning 20 years won’t fit :rolleyes: There’s in one eBay I’ve been watching ages, but the fella insists he wants £650 (it was never fitted) and I don’t ‘need’ one (yet) so can’t justify more than £400 really as it will sit in the garage hopefully never to be fitted… I really want an Alli one but can’t find one anywhere outside of Japan!

10. What a palava!
    It might be a bit late but shouldn’t this be an issue for Ducati?
    A petrol tank that fails at its very essence isn’t really fit for purpose

11. Yep, couldn't agree more.
    It's a well known issue, but doesn't get discussed on here like it does on the UK Monster forum, probably because the Plastic tank 2000s Monsters are really the only effected models, and don't appear to be that popular on this forum, which lets face it tends to generate more discussion about much newer bikes and more sports based older ones.

I believe there are a couple of Monster models with the correct shape Metal tank that also take the bottom mount cassette Fuel pump assembly, but they are rare.

And anyway, I'm not so sure what's worse.
    Dealing with the expanding Plastic tank on my Monster, or draining out the metal tank on my SS occasionally to stop any accumulated water rotting the bottom out of it. Not heard any reports of metal 999 tanks rotting out, but should really have a look in mine I suppose.

Both issues would be solved with a proper application of internal Ethanol proof sealant, but I worry that once it's in there it's REALLY hard to undo.

#3731 Nasher, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  12. bradders has a plastic tanked s4r I think
    My 749 metal tank rotted out. Read some horror stories of sealing tanks gone bad, the cure being much worse than the cure.

I didn’t have any issue with my LC 250’s metal tank but then it was premix petrol and my assumption is the oil kept the water out or at least protected the metal.

13. I know what you mean by rotting tanks
    I’ve had my ‘97 SS go through, patch weld repaired and Por 15 lined
    My ‘14 1200 Monster seems to be coping…so far.

I must get back over to the monster forum, it’s been a while.

14. Insurance renewal time on my V2 Bayliss.

15. finally ordered an aftermarket spraaaag for my Ugly as it's stopping me using it as could get stranded.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Emptied the dehumidifier.

17. Doing some old-school polishing and realised that my Black&Decker drill is the same age as my 1975 'barn-find' Triumph. Both have a lot of 'patina'... Fun tho' :)
    PXL_20230117_151431636.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  18. That’s a proper B and D drill, not the crap they sell now.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Ooh, I did that. Didn’t think it was worthy of this thread, but guess it probably is, so noted for the future.

20. Yep bike related.

But don’t take it too seriously

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information