1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what have you done today..?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by figaro, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Turnover and profit will dictate if a tax levy need be implemented

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Apart from ski-ing what is he planning to do in Japan?

3. A good point, worth making.

Estimates calculate £5,000 in 2005 is worth £9,356.51 today. Add storage, labour and parts, a reasonably straight forward exercise, and I think you would find that there is little or no profit made, much less any taxable profit.

https://www.officialdata.org/uk/inflation/2005?amount=5000

Now if you were doing this frequently, it would be a commercial venture and be viewed differently...

https://wecar.uk/blog/how-many-cars...n-the-uk-without-paying-taxes/?v=7885444af42e

#91743 Jez900ie, Sep 22, 2024 at 12:20 PM
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2024 at 12:29 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I’m sure if HMRC become aware, they will try and justify that falls under capital gains. Am I surprised “Selling on” is a target for HMRC ? Absolutely not and I’d be very surprised if HMRC actually make anything from it. Maybe 1 or 2 high profile cases to add a fear factor but your average baby clothes reseller isn’t going to be worried in the slightest. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sorted the rearsets on the hyper, had a full on weekend last weekend....watching films today while snooping for parts for the incoming SXV550

6. The selling fees are extortionate now...sold a tablet on friday for 300 - ebay took 40.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. He’s not sure in any precise way, it’ll be working 5 days using a work holiday visa in resort and doing whatever takes his fancy on his days off. He’s an offer of work with the all important lift pass and lodging included.

His plan at season end is to cycle through Japan possibly North to South. He may then try and travel to either Chile, Argentina or New Zealand depending on his funds. He’s got 5K in savings with a 2.5K emergency fund should he need it.

Flight is a bargain £498 return LHR to Tokyo with a transfer at Shanghai.

Hopefully he’ll learn at least a little more Japanese whilst there, he’s always been interested in Japan since he was very young.

He tried to work in Europe but it appeared to be far easier to travel to the other side of the hemisphere to find work.

• Like Like x 4
  8. There are literally thousands of UK ski resort workers all across the Alps as you know. A quick google shows dozens of ski holiday companies currently inviting applications. In a previous life I was very much involved with this for a couple of UK travel outfits. Some things will have changed, but not too much I suspect, and the recruitment only really starts around now. As he has a job planned, this doesn't matter, unless he would like a back up plan and its simple to attend a few interviews...

I skied In Japan at Shigakogen/ Nagano back in the 90's. I was also taken to a couple of other nearby places too by the Japanese Tourist board all as part of setting up a UK- Japan ski package program, which in reality was a marketing ploy. I liked it well enough, was treated really well, and the skiing was good. Not too sure I'd swap my mad ski seasons in Kitz, Tignes or Verbier for it though!

I'm sure it will be a good experience for him.

9. I understood that cars, motorcycles, clocks, watches, gold coins (legal tender) are all (currently) exempt from cat, but obviously you would need to check with HMRC or tax advisor. If you are trading them as a business, presumably you’d be caught by some other taxation.

10. I’ve been skiing in Japan and found the ski resorts in Nagano and near Sapporo had great facilities and were surprisingly empty compared to Europe so very few queues, very good for powder skiing due to the weather systems, apparently, particularly Sapporo. Nagano is a quick trip on a Shinkansen from Tokyo, followed by a bus up the mountain to the resort, but a flight needed to Hokkaido.

It is Japan so it’s incredibly expensive, so not a lot of foreign tourists, and whilst I found everyone to be really helpful, there’s not much English spoken, and it’s a difficult language to learn, so worth learning what you can before you go, similarly Beatles lyrics for the karaoke!

Japanese food is fantastic, although some can be an acquired taste, and most restaurants have plastic models of the dishes served so simply point at what you want, once you’ve tried Japanese fast food, you’ll never go near a pot noodle again!. There are McDonalds and the like in the cities if you get the urge, not so much in the sticks.

A very polite society, hardly any crime, great mass transit systems, certainly in the cities, not much experience of public transport in the sticks. Cars and bicycles peacefully coexist in the same space, shopping bikes with baskets etc quite cheap, proper road/touring bikes are expensive.

It’s a fantastic country and people, that not too many people have the chance to visit. Sounds like a great opportunity!

#91750 Mr Bimble, Sep 22, 2024 at 4:28 PM
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2024 at 5:29 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Talking about shovels, i've one that's 35 years old secondhand like you.

12. I can assure you I’m not second hand!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. The jury's out on that one.:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Back from a boys find weekend at Chepstow in what must be the most expensive hotel for simple beer outside of Norway. But managed a win today for a few quid in all the torrential rain

15. Went to Hawes on the bike. Put another 120 miles on the Diavel :)

• Like Like x 4
  16. How are you finding it?

17. Sold an item for £200 and they too £25 of it.

18. Absolutely brilliant, much lighter than my old 1260S, so manageable, light, flickable, quick, superb handling......it reminded me of riding the scrambler 1100 Sport and how well I got on with that.

I also rode with the panniers on and didn't notice them so I'll be using them from now on for trips.

Only did 60 miles yesterday to scrub the tyres in but the run home was quite brisk. As I said I went to Hawes today and put another 120 miles on. Loved it. It was a good decision to change the Multi I think.

I felt completely comfortable on it both on the move and slowly moving it around in awkward, tight spots. Mojo well and truly back!

• Like Like x 5
  19. He’s applied all across Europe and North America without success, he even spent about £500 (against my advice) to gain a ski tech qualifications to give him a better chance of finding a job. Maybe something may have come from holding out a little longer for Europe but the offer from Japan is more likely to bring a job. Plus he did quite fancy New Zealand on his return leg with a possibility to find casual work there before he has to come back for his university course at whichever will offer him a place.

• Like Like x 1
  20. And maybe his ol' Dad can go out for a visit in spring?

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information