1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what have you done today..?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by figaro, Mar 17, 2012.

1. I normally come back via Raglan then down the Usk road but the Wye Valley past Tintern is brilliant too.
    I live near the old Severn bridge so I tend to do most of my riding over in Wales.

2. Today I have ordered a set of custom fit Rossi rep leathers from nexus moto (you can find them on ebay under that name.) Custom fit, rossi rep, hydra pack hump: £500.

I'm willing to try them out to see how they turn out. I am sure the majority of people will say that it's crazy to buy unbranded leathers and all those kind of comments. I read as many reviews as I could find and didn't see anything bad.

As far as I am concerned, the suits are ALL made in a third world country in conditions we would find appalling by people that don't want to be there, from the cheapest materials available that meet the criteria. They just cost a lot more.

Here is my defence:

The armour will be the soft kind and probably won't be rated, but the armour in my first RST 2 piece was made of compressed cardboard. It's to soften initial impact on bony areas, not stop bullets. I wear a separate back and chest protector and decent gloves to protect the serious bits.

The leather probably comes from the same supplier and any way, cows are cows after all. It may well get f***** up if I fall off, but that is what leathers are for. I don't want to wear damaged leathers again.

Anyway, please begin with the condemnation of my choice! I'll let you know how they turn out. (6 to 8 weeks to delivery.) If they are s*** I'll be the first to admit it.

imagecopy_zps83870f16.jpg

3. Met up with some friends at 9ish at the Castle of comfort on the Mendips, an 848 (we think) went past, then Shepton, Castle Carey and the a303 to Mattia's Diner at Camel Hill for late breakfast and a different route home. For what was meant to be a cloudy day it seemed pretty sunny to me. About the take the dog out then into the gym.

4. Pingping, I am of the same opinion, I think people pay way too much for branded kit. But I remember a jacket I bought years ago, the leather was so thin you could literally pull it apart with your fingers. It was leather, but it was (I believe) axilla, basically the cow's armpits, and the softest and tenderest skin on the cow, with no protective qualities at all.

Having said that, I crashed in it several times, and I'm still here to tell the tale...

5. I can only apologise to the black Multi rider I comprehensively got in the way of in Horsham area this morning. It wasn't a good showing. My visor made a bid for freedom, my bruvver was pissing off into the distance, I didn't know where I was, had a Multi up my arse, and then the phone started ringing...

I stopped to regroup, but in all honesty the ride never got much better:(

6. Its not just the leather. Its the stitching. The seams. The lining. The cut.

7. ...I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tyre. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

8. taxd the bikes, serviced the mutly off out for a run taking a bike home for the summer and taking family out for dinner.

9. Any other day I'd have had him:upyeah:

10. had him? what you trying to say?

11. I asked him where they were made and this was his reply

Hi Thomas,

Your leathers are made in our factory based in Asia, which is why we can offer the competitive price. All Alpinestars/Dianese are made out there (as is everything else) so do not worry. Check the label next time you pick up a Alpinestars suit and you will see.

We also have a strict quality control procedure in place to ensure our products meet the highest specifications in leather quality, stitching and seam construction. We have plenty of race teams using our leathers, myself for one as I race my Fireblade in the No Limits 1000 Class.

Our leathers meet Alpinestars specifications, but the only way we are able to compete is with our fresh designs and our non-rip off prices…

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Patrick

www.facebook.com/NexusMoto

I will write a comprehensive review when I get them and I'll let you know how I got on. He says he uses the same 1.3mm to 1.4mm leather as the main brands.

#11471 pingping010101, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  12. Well, he came up my behind so fast I didn't have time to react. Next time it'll be me forcing it. HTH;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. A very bad today.:Hurting::Cold:I hope tomorrow brings a bit of joy.:upyeah:

14. I hope so too Merv.

• Like Like x 1
  15. It's not that it didn't float my boat. I thought it was a great bike. But I already have a great bike and I definitely wouldn't be able to see £10k of upside in owning one compared to what I have. I'm a big believer in measuring fun quotient vs cost. For the extra cost, I'm not how much more fun I'd have.

Of course, to properly evaluate a bike, you need more than just 20 mins or a half hour on it, but it gives you a good idea. Interestingly, having read a few reviews last night, it seems that I am not alone in finding the 899 brakes a bit wooden, or the F3 brakes particularly good, so I'm on the right track with something.

It is the job of us marketers to imply to consumers that they should always upgrade to the newer and "better" thing in every sphere. But to be honest, it just isn't necessary in many instances, which is why I am still happy with my 14 year old car and 8 year old bike.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yes Glidd!!! It's consumerism, and I hate it!!

The only part of consumerism which I have to let in to my life is housing costs. Everything else I can choose to do it the non-consumerist way.

17. I have just received a phone call from a guy, Steve H, who is the present owner of my old 1974 750SS bevel green frame. It is in pieces, apparently, but he is in course of rebuilding it. Since the guy is a retired engineering toolmaker, he should be in a position to make a good job of it. I was able to tell him some of the history of the bike (Mick Walker's personal bike, raced in the TT, etc) and tomorrow I shall post him copies of some old photos I still have. It would be great to see it back together and working one day. Of course I couldn't afford to buy it now!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Had a wander around boulton on the water and the motor museum

image.jpg

19. Got back from Spain late last night (been visiting family) put new rear discs and pads on the car, then washed, hoovered and polished it. All in all a good days work :)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Booked flights for Portimao in October.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information