Spare Shim Register & Exchange

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nasher, Feb 25, 2017.

1. You can buy 8mm shims from Lacey Ducati for half the price that Ducati sell them. Lacey get them made in the US, pity they don't do 7mm ones as well.

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. I'm looking to swap (or buy..) some 7mm shims is anyone has the sizes I need

my shims are (measured with a micrometer, not going off the etched numbers)

OPENER -

SHIMS HAVE SHIMS NEED
    2.80 2.85

2.50 2.52

2.34 2.38 (2.40)

2.43 2.48 (2.50)

CLOSER -

3.32 3.42 (3.40)

3.26 3.36 (3.35)

3.47 3.547 (3.55)

3.52 3.57 (3.55)

3.53 3.58 (3.60)

3. Have you checked the spreadsheet linked above ?

4. of course, yes...

however it's irrelevant now as I've managed to swap some round, lap a couple and I've ordered the remaining ones I need

• Like Like x 1
  5. I bought a 7mm EMS shim kit and have used it for my S4 and a friend’s 996. My M1200S will need checking soon. Are the shims the same for desmoquattro and testastretta? I see that EMS/DesmoTimes refer to early and late version 7mm kits. Is this just the difference between the selection of shims in the kit or is there a different design. I tried to cross check part numbers and they do appear to be different for a given shim size but it won’t be the first time Ducati have updated their system to give different numbers for what is essentially the same part. I’m confused.

6. Shims for a desmoquatro won't fit/be usable in a Testastretta.

Steve R

7. I have some 7m shims to swap (monster 1100) if anyone is looking for :
    Closers
    Openers

will swap for closers 3.05, 3.15, 3.20
    openers 2.55, 2.4

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oxford Motorcycle Engineers in the old days used to operate an exchange scheme, They may have charged £1 each - trouble was Oliver there wasn't the fastest and after i hassled him one time I received a plain envelope with 2 holes in it! Still have their manual somewhere. used to use a plate glass platter from a turntable to grind them. OME also supplied little machined spacers that fitted in the shim making measuring easy - one returned the spacer as a reference point when ordering.

9. @Pauldonjuan started a shim exchange service on here a while back

10. How does this work?
    I’m just doing the clearances on my Multistrada DVT. I have done all the measurements and all the closers need adjustment. Will be doing one head at a time starting with the horizontal. Hopefully I will be able to swap some around. I know they are 7mm but still looks like there are variants.
    Do I just put on here what I’m need and what I have and hope someone will have them?

11. I wonder what happened to the zillions of shims they had at Oxford Motorcycle engineers back in the 80's, they used to do an exchage for a poiund! But what a resource it could be?

12. I’m looking to swap some shims. Later 7mm 4v type.
    I have openers

I need openers
    3.25 x2

Any help before I hit the main dealer would be appreciated.

13. Sorry, none in these sizes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks, I decided to order from the main dealer as were surprised the price has reduced to just over £14 each. The sizes I need are very popular and my local independent chap was not prepared to do an exchange. The only annoying this is I may have to do another order when I move to the virtual cylinder.

15. It's best to do both cylinders together as you will often find that you can swap some of shims around to get the required clearance. It also saves you having to order twice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yes I agree in the ideal world. I don’t want to risk dropping any valves into the cylinders so need to get the horizontal cylinder back together before moving onto the vertical one. I did think of ways to hold the valves but I’m in no rush.

17. Hello!

I'm hunting for some shims to swap if you are amenable:
    (or purchase at a push)

For 2V 8mm stems.

GOT:
    opener: 3.90 / 4.60 / 4.05
    closer: 7.15 / 6.75

NEED:
    opener 4.0 / 4.1 / 4.9
    closer: 7.30 / 7.25

I don't mind adjusting with some wet n dry if necessary (but not huge amounts plz!)

Thanks!
    Grant

18. Sorry, I haven't got any in these sizes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I wonder what happened to the veritable wall of Shims that lived in Oxford Motorcycle Engineers workshop?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information