1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding Fine

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mike willis, Sep 25, 2024.

1. Does it know when I last had a wank?

2. Ha
    Haven’t you been warned before about doing that whilst driving?

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. We all know that, and didn’t need technology to tell us :scream:

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. And just to be punctilious on this, it doesn't have to be received within 14 days, 'the prosecution only needs to prove that they posted it so that you should receive it within 14 days'. I.e.: 'Where notice has been sent by first class post to the last known address of the person, so that it could have been delivered within 14-days of the alleged offence, proper service is deemed to have taken place unless the contrary is proved. There is a presumption that letters sent by post will be delivered in the “ordinary course of the post”. For first-class mail, that is the second working day after posting.'

So if they posted it on day 12 and you received it on day 15, you are not in the clear, as they could reasonably have presumed that you would receive it on day 13 or day 14, and the Post Office's incompetence is not deemed to save you.

However, this is extremely rare. Most people seem to get them within a week or so ...

5. If we are really going to get into the weeds, then to be completely accurate, it is a rebuttable presumption, so if the defendant can prove the NIP wasn’t received within 14 days, he’s in the clear. Good luck with selling that “dog ate my homework” bullshit to a cynical district judge who’ll be listening to your evidence like this though…..

upload_2024-9-27_12-0-18.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Yeah, 3 working days for my van incident so they didnt hang around, they wanted the cash as quick as possible :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I did a motorway awareness course (for speeding) 71 in a 60 iirc, must have missed the first sign, no complaints. What I was wondering is if/when I’m caught again but next time is on an A road and it’s before the 3 years are up can I do a speed awareness course.

8. Afraid not, if you book and pay for a course within the time limit you also lose your course fee and have the fine and points too.

AFAIK you aren’t allowed another course even if it’s fit for a differing offence is my understanding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I don’t know the list of courses available, but for instance if you got one for using a phone, surely that would be completely different from speeding.

I think (not fact checked) in my case if I was caught speeding on another class of road, within the three years I’d just have to pay the fine and receive the points.

My question arose because a number of people on the course that I did were there for other reasons. The provider was surprised none of us were there for driving in a closed lane, which he said was the most popular reason for attending.

10. They are vastly different from each other having attended both over the years. The mobile/seatbelt course is particularly graphic.

I’ve recently done the motorway awareness course for excessive speed through the warning overhead sign (58 in a 40) too. Most were there for running through the overheads with the large Red X illuminated.

At the end of the course the lecturer stated that you couldn’t attend another of the 4 courses within a certain time frame. I’d be happy for a link to a definitive answer however as I stated is how I understand it to be.

It seems there are 5 courses according to this site but nothing about your specific question.

https://www.saferroadshumber.com/driver-safety-courses/

#70 DucatiScud, Sep 27, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2024
  11. Just a heads up I know from personal experience the quality of Police Training is far below what happened before Thresa May took away all the funding from the Police
    When the police had to make cuts to survive the first to go was training
    Somebody said that you don't need an NIP in the post if you are stopped by the Police
    That is not quite true
    When you are stopped for speeding (there are other offences as well) the Officer must say "I am reporting you for consideration of the question of prosecuting you for the offence of (speeding)" they should then caution you but even that caution is different because the Police are not allowed to question you after you have been charged or reported

12. I got nicked by a patrol car on the M74 northbound in Scotland. Bad observation from me- I didn’t see him coming due to a 10 stone Bullmastif slobbering over my shoulder. I’d stitched on to a Bentley doing 95mph thinking he’d cop it first and I’d be alerted to bother when his brake lights came on- wrong!!

When you get pulled I firmly believe in the 10 second test. Act like a smart arse and you’re gonna get it. Anyway, I got 3 points and £100 fixed penalty. ‘‘Twas a fair cop…

13. Nope. But it can tell when you shagged the wife. Fortunately it cannot say whose wife!

14. Yes, you can do the SPEED awareness course within the 3 year period of your MOTORWAY awareness course

A few years ago, I got flashed by a fixed camera on the A5120, just off J12 of the M1, did the speed awareness course, about 15 months later, I got flashed just south of J11 of the M6 by a variable speed limit camera, did the motorway awareness course

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bargain, the Carlsberg of speed awareness courses, you must have the most number of chief superintendents and politicians living in your county :joy:

When I was last done it was on the A34 near Oxford, over gantry camera van, ‘twas a fix I tell ya, police entrapment, overtaking a lorry in a convoy of 4 cars all following a police car. Think we all figured he new the speed limit and we were safe to follow him, section of road dropped to 50 and he didn’t slow but did put on its blue lights, but on static blue, not flashing, no sirens and maintained the same speed? (60mph) which I thought was odd, until we passed under the gantry!

Anyway, received the letter in the post, list on the back of available online courses all over the country, so must be some sort of national partnership, although the prices vary?, choose the cheapest (£80) course done.

My county, Dorset on the other hand don’t play with the other children, they have their own course, you have to take theirs and it’s one of the most expensive in the country, £130 the last time I checked!

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  16. It's my understanding the course fee is split 50/50 between the course provider & the police (force under which the offence was committed).

17. never assume it always gets you into trouble

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Who's done a naughty-step 'course' because of a bike-related infringement (touch wood - not me yet!)? Did you do your course with only bikers or a mix of car & bike? When I did my car 36-in-30 'awareness' a while ago, I was really unimpressed with the facilitator's lack of bike-related knowledge when they were describing traffic situations.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Assumption being the mother of all speeding fines, or something like that :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. In Dorset they run a separate course tailored just for bikes, they also do another one for if you’ve been in a collision, that ones a 7hr attended course :eek:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information