1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding Fine

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mike willis, Sep 25, 2024.

1. I'm sure that readers from outside of UK might prehap's take it that an 'awareness course' provides a get out of jail free system. It gives offenders another avenue of eduction but the actual offence & 3-points are blind for three years or so.

In laymen's terms; if you do the same scenario of speeding on A-road or motorway (what ever the offence was) the points will be added too your driving license with the new set of points till the first set expires 3.5year since offence took place. Providing the insurance industry more mullah!

We really need a Switzerland system where by the offender is fined for value of vehicle & salary: y/t 44-teeth anyone?

#101 GunZenBomZ, Oct 4, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2024
  2. Always has been always will.:D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. I was on 6 points, got caught doing 95 in a 60, taken to court, dreading the inevitable 6 points on my licence ( making 12) and resulting 6 months ban...got a 10 day ban and no points. Plus a big fine... Still have a right moan about the unfair fine..

4. Now that’s interesting.

You guys in the UK get points awarded to your licences for driving like the criminals you all are.
    We, on the contrary, get a 12 points licence to start with and they get taken away as we misbehave, like the French bastards we all are (we loose our licence at 0…)

Don’t you see the beauty of it?
    Send us your points ffs!!

#EntenteCordiale #AuldAlliance

#104 Guillaume69, Oct 6, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. That was extremely fortunate! Did you have a great lawyer or what?

I hope the ten days were spent somewhere hot & sunny...

6. Defended myself

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yep spent 10 days fuming on a train

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Welldone for coming up with the greatest excuse of all time. I never heard of anyone getting off like this, so congrats!

PS
    I will be calling you the next time I get a pulled for a few tips...

• Like Like x 1
  9. It’s quite common for Magistrates to shorten a totting ban or even not impose one at all on grounds of “exceptional hardship”.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. i don't mind them overtaking me at even 1 mile per hour, but what stresses me out is when drivers slowly creep up behind you (av speed/slowlane) and then follow at an unsafe distance as though trying to persuade you to go faster rather than change lane. I can't tell you what i do if this happens persistently. We all have the ability to "get away" from this kind of problem normally so that's probably why i struggle with it so much.

11. Technically incorrect. I got done in Scotland (Dundee) doing 50 in a 40. 3 points and £100. There was no option of a speed awareness course as they don’t offer them north of the border.

12. Cited that I needed the car for work... But still was surprised at no points. But have heard of quite a few similar since

13. they also didn't allow a guilty plea in absentia last time i drove to St Andrews, definitely no prisoners taken on that front.

14. IIRC, totting wipes all points from your licence.

15. It does but you get a 6 month ban ?

16. He was given a discretionary disqualification of 10 days and so I think the same applies.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. I got caught in Australia on the Great Ocean Road by a police car coming in the other direction. I’d been very careful to keep to the limit (110km) but it had dropped to (100km). She pulled me over and gave me the ‘lecture’. The option was fine and she would confiscate my licence. When she realised I was from the UK (as was she!) she let my off with a wrist slap.

When I got home I got one for the same stretch of road from the hire car company. The advice was to pay it as if you didn’t then if you were ever stopped again the fine would have to be paid with interest dating back to the original fine.

We mentioned it to the B&B owners and they said it was infamous stretch as they deliberately dropped the limit to pocket the fines.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. I got caught doing 159 on the M74 today. Luckily it was just Mrs Cringe waking from a slumber… phew…

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. A quick Q... are all the online "National Speed Awareness Courses" the same price? - as I guess you could book with anyone.

Wish I was bloody well asking for a friend. :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. The prices seem to vary a lot, is it down to how much you were speeding by?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information