1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding Fine

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mike willis, Sep 25, 2024.

1. Went up to see my sister in Leicestershire and one of the villages had average speed cameras on the 1 mile or so main drag through it. First time I've seen them on summat other than the motorway.

2. I’ve seen a few dotted about on my travels, mostly on dual carriageways not seen any in a village.

3. They desecrated the Cat and Fiddle road with them ages ago. Not only did the Karens and killjoys ruin the riding pleasure of the road, the cameras are also an eyesore and have turned the beautiful Peak District scenery into a bleak dystopian vista.

upload_2024-10-21_10-30-56.jpeg

4. Here’s another.
    A519 Woodseaves, Staffordshire. Right through the village.
    IMG_5343.png

5. Oh good lord! that is just ghastly and needs a midnight balaclava wearing raid with an angle grinder.

And the faux Victorian'esque bracket supporting the arm completes the appalling vision.

Every thing about it is just wrong, wrong, wrong...

:weary_face:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. A 46 has had them for ages, as does the A631 out of Bawtry

7. I know of several villages with average speed cameras and few with 20mph limits down here in Cornwall.

8. True!

The facts are:

The limit changed on about 35% of Welsh roads - a mere 22,000 miles in total.

To anyone who doesn't think that is likely to be massive overkill I would politely suggest they think again...

9. It's all in built up areas where you really should not have been speeding anyway

10. Wales has 22,000 miles of housing? Its only 11,000 miles to New Zealand!

PS
    Speeding is not viewed by many to be exceeding 20mph. Now of course they could be wrong.

11. Yep the mileage is bizzare, but the current 20 zones were all 30 before , some were already 20 including where I live, town centre, schools etc. There were not many 30 zones out in the country, and many of those that were, stayed 30, it was upto the local authority as to whether to implement the default 30 to 20. To my knowledge, no 40, 50, or 60 zones became 20

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. They have average speed cameras on the Top Gear road (as it’s called) in Wales, totally ruined it.

13. There are a few more in North Wales too, I mostly ride B Roads and unclassified roads in Wales, I avoid A roads as much as possible these days even those I know have no cameras on them.

14. There are average speed cameras popping up on country roads all over Surrey and Hampshire. It won’t be long before they are a lot more commonplace on country roads.

As much as I hate to say it, I think these average cameras on country roads are aimed at safety rather than bringing money in, as I’ve never seen anyone speeding on them.

Average cameras on dual carriageways and motorways are another story though.

15. They’re a pain in the arse. You can do 150mph past one…. As long as you pull over to check your emails or whatever before you get to the next one… pah…

16. Down one of the roads near me, whoever spaced them out is an imbecile, as there's one, then a turning about half a mile away with no camera before the junction.

So you can go past the last camera at 50, then go as fast as you want and then turn off. The look of shock on peoples faces when you overtake them is hilarious. Just don't forget to turn off before the next camera!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yep, there’s a similar configuration near me. I’ve long since sussed where you’re timed and where you’re not. As you say, people are not expecting you to leather it past them… :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Just because you don’t know it, doesn’t mean your correct.
    I travel along one road in particular nearly every day, and that has gone from national speed limit to 20 then 40 then 20. Now it’s 20 then 40 then 30, then 20 on a road that’s not a mile long.

19. It’s almost as if the people who have made the changes have never driven a car before , there is no flow to the roads anymore with the speed limit jumping about all over the place.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Yeah I moved my eldest last weekend and went down a road between several villages. Must be 5 or 6 speed limit changes in much less than 2 miles. One of them is a 30, to 60 for no more than 200 yard and then back to 30 which is just asking for drag races and trouble. Bet thats one of the speed vans favourite spots!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information