1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spondon Ducati Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Waggy, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Many thanks ducati dad, have looked at some images of 888 rads and its a perfect match. The outlet beneath the cap appears to be a sensor for rad fan, theres definitely no room for a fan, one of the fan lugs has been removed as it interfered with cylinder head. I assume the 996 rad might be bigger than 888 and might not fit.

2. The 996 916 748 bikes don't have a preasure cap like yours as it interferes with the air tubes, they have a header tank separately to top up.
    Good call ducati dad.
    Steve

3. Latest mystery on this bike is what appear to be two fuel filters!
    [​IMG]
    In the photo above, you can see the white plastic fuel filter which connects directly to the tank.
    The aluminium type filter is in view to the left of the cylinder head.
    The next photo shows it more clearly.

[​IMG]
    So we have a single fuel line from the fuel tank via the plastic fuel filter, which goes to an inlet in the bottom of the fuel pump. The pump has two outlets, one of which goes to a fuel regulator, and the other as you can see above goes to another fuel filter then to the rearmost injector. Any ideas on why this arrangement?

4. Someone has removed all your fuel supply gubbins to outside of your tank.

5. Yes l understand that on a normal ducati 996, the fuel pump, filter and regulator are all contained inside the tank, but even a normal ducati has only one fuel filter, this spondon set up has two filters. I cant think why, maybe it was a hangover from a previous engine installation perhaps.

6. The pictures don't make it very clear and the pump has two outlets which in itself is unusual. For any injection system there should be 2 filters, a coarse one before the pump to protect the pump from picking up contaminants from the tank and jamming, and a fine between the pump and injectors to protect the injectors from getting clogged with smaller particles. Such a setup exists with the in-tank arrangement where there is a mesh screen before the pump and an inline filter after it, before the regulator and injectors.
    So, assuming both pump outlets are connected internally, the pressure regulator will control the pressure for the whole of the high pressure side and presumably returns the excess to the tank. All the injectors should be after the second filter. You say that the filter after the pump goes to the rear injector but you don't mention the other injectors. How are they fed? It's not clear from the pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Many thanks Derek, that makes sense. Everything is so finely packed in there that its hard to take clear photos and the beam frame is in the way. When l drop the engine will post a pic of set up. From what l can see, one outlet goes to filter then to rear injector, there is then a link hose from this throttle body to front throttle body, then another hose from front throttle body to pressure regulator, then a hose from regulator to a y piece, the other outlet from the pump is also connected to this y piece, the outlet from this y piece being the fuel return to the tank. Hope that makes sense. Will order another fuel filter, nothing wrong with having clean fuel:grinning:

8. Hard to picture but I think that makes sense. it sounds like all the fuel to the injectors goes through the second filter, which it should.

9. Rad isn't st4 is it?

10. Not an ST radiator. The bottom hose outlet points the wrong direction and they haven't got that bit behind and below the filler cap.

11. Oh well,worth a guess,cheers Derek.

12. Hi all, managed to get some cave time and get most of the bike stripped down. As Ducati Dad mentioned at the top of the page and some of you have confirmed, it is a 888 radiator, again many thanks. A few more pics of progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone know the model number of these Ohlin forks?

[​IMG]

13. Many thanks Tobytyke, have now found and downloaded the manual for the for the fg43.

• Like Like x 1
  14. [​IMG] Well today, I checked the engine over, shims checked and all in tolerance, which is a relief, the 996 is a bit more fiddly than the aircooled or 999 on engines.
    Anyhow the engine identity mystery continues. The German firm Kamna who built this engine over 10 years ago have no records of what has been done. The engine has been obviously stripped down and crankcases opened, as there is evidence of red 3 bond everywhere. But what has been done is a mystery.
    At first glance I thought it might be an sps engine due to the fact it has twin pickups on alt cover and is running dual injectors from a p8 ecu. However camshaft markings are A1 or A1R and I believe sps should be T1 cams. The casting dates on crankcases etc is 98 and engine number sequence is ZDM996*0067--*
    I hope the following pics are of some help and someone can come up with suggestions as to what might have been done to this engine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  15. I'm sure you've noticed that there is one of the generator wires pulled out of the white connector block underneath the front cylinder

16. Yup, l noticed that when l unplugged it, someone had crimped two yellows onto one terminal, because they used a single phase regulator/rectifier. Will be getting a three phase mosfet reg/rec. I have a lot of work to do on the wiring, too many cheap insulated connectors and bodges. Thanks for bringing it to my attention anyway.

17. Hi waggy where you based ? I'm near lurgan .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information