1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicide Stand??

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Dave, Jan 3, 2024.

1. My 2 748's had suicide stands. Caught me out once as well

2. Suicide stand you say... Tricky little buggers! :joy:
    upload_2024-1-13_13-0-12.jpeg

3. Another solution is to grind off the nub on the oversized bolt so the OEM bracket doesn't stop - thus the spring isn't forced into flip-up mode.

Screenshot 2024-01-13 140535.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. Isn't it remarkable we're still debating this UTTERLY SHIITE design decision, 30 years later.. lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Can anyone comment on the best way to convert from flip-up sidestand to non flip-up? I have a '98 916.

Have looked through this post and keen on hearing an up-to-date informed opinion.

Thanks in advance of any help

6. There was a guy called Tony Broncato that developed a conversion to stop this happening, he was a brilliant engineer.
    He was near Oxford, no idea how to get hold of him, he may have retired by now.

7. Look at my previous posts in this thread, there is an eBay link, item about £12, easy to fit

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Just checked, previous link doesn't work now, this one, however, does work

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235573338831

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I liked my suicide stand on my 851 didn’t ever have an issue with it. My Sons MX125 has one and that is a real PITA, taken out 2 clutch levers which are no longer available. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I also assumed he'd retired long ago but remarkably Google says Brancato Engineering (Chalgrove) opens 9am Tuesday, tel 01865 891203.

11. PS not that it's relevant to the thread I also loved the flip-up stand on my SS. They seem entirely logical to me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. You must have some Italian blood in you :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Thanks for reply. I've seen the links but don't seem to take me to anything current

14. The link I posted yesterday works, that is the part you need, I have posted pics of the before and after, so you can see how it fits

15. That's amazing, he is a really interesting character, he also did some amazing restoration work.

16. Dear British friends , i really dont know what u mean by "SUICIDE STAND " but i bought a 748 in devon and brought back to Milan italy with her original stand which i simply love it
    ciao !

• Like Like x 3
  17. The Italians (and others) are revolting! - i like the standard sidestand also, the only reason you drop the bike is because you forgot that it retracts automatically. Honda did a clever alternative to this but it "rescued" the sidestand if you forgot to retract it, all done with no damage to anything apart from a scrub on the "eraser".

• Like Like x 1
  18. I was ok with the flip up stand too on my SS
    I got the hang of leaning it against my thigh when I got off and put stand down as I couldn't do it sat on the bike
    I followed some out of a petrol station who hadn't put his stand up on monster as we left and luckily he didn't catch the ground as he did a left turn.

19. Looks like the item on ebay you linked to isn't available anymore. Do you happen to remember what you searched for when you initially found your item?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information