1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicide Stand??

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Dave, Jan 3, 2024.

1. It's not wise to park a bike on a downward incline on any sidestand, always park it uphill if there's nowhere flat, leaving it in gear is not a bad idea either.

I don't mind the suicide stand, My 916 & Guzzi have them, the Monster doesn't but it does have a red light on the dash to warn that it's down...

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Correctamundo!

Fairings, clutch levers, engine casings footrestsm gear-levers, denser sliencers, etc….

Also worth noting is the enjoyment of parking on less than solid ground and having to put a puck, large flat stone, or similar to spread the load over a wider area, under the side stand without it constantly springing up, something requiring more arms and legs than you were born with….

I suspect most people disabled the auto retract feature and it became second nature to retract the stand as soon as the bike was lifted off the stand!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Until the cutout switch in the sidestand pivot wears out, which means the bike won't go. So you have to bypass the switch with a bit of wire, then source a new switch. Don't ask how I know this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. I fitted an eccentric plate to one of my earlier Ducati's side stand many moons ago. It was a popular mod and a lot cheaper than having to replace broken side mirrors and fairings. Only near miss I had before fitting it was on the ferry to Calais one year, as the bike wasn't quite strapped down correctly and rolled forward ever so slightly. Luckily it happened just before I left the car deck and I was standing next to it at the time. Had I not have been there, it would have been a very miserable start to the holiday.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yep, track 999, no side stand..bit of wire employed, but I guess the track gurus have a better solution

• Like Like x 1
  6. The CCM spitfire uses a suicide stand; they have minimal electrical gizmos and this allows them to sell their bikes without the need to fit a 'stand down' warning light. You soon get used to it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I just stripped the wires and twisted them together.....so probably

• Like Like x 1
  8. we ought to have a separate thread for all the different methods that we've seen used over the years. I've seen a hairclip used about three times.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mods for side stand mods thread please

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mine has a proper Superseal connector with a loop of insulated wire.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information