1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tell me about tablets………..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by andyb, Dec 21, 2013.

1. You know, I've never used the bus in London. I always used to get a train to London, the travel card from Mk is about £21.

On Tuesday I drove to cockfosters and got the tube travel card. Tbh with three people it was a winner!

2. South London particularly is very poorly serviced by the Tube, so using the bus makes sense. Another thing about the Tube - you can be walking miles underground changing lines - you can sometimes almost do it quicker just walking overland from one place to another. Paddington to Kennington is far quicker on a bus. There is also something quite cool about knowing the buses and where they go. Now that they announce all the stops and if you have an Oyster card or a Travel card, you can just bus hop for the fun of it. Final advantage is that it's a much better way of learning London than the Tube, as underground you don't know where you are.

3. As a non Londoner London is a collection of activities and attractions conveniently placed around tube stations. All the things I do in London are tube local. I wouldn't know what bus to get on even if i were to - the furthest south I ever go is the o2 / docklands. Furthest north is Camden lock.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just how it's worked out for someone who only ever goes to London for leisure.

4. It's strange how you often don't do the tourist attractions when you live in a place. I only went up the London Eye when i stopped living in London, despite working not far away from it. I have still never visited the Tower (more fool me, I suspect).

I used to spend weekends in the parks and pubs, going shopping, doing the sort of things that people do anywhere.

When I went to New York the first time for about 5 days, I walked from Times Square to the WTC, via Greenwich Village, Little Italy, China Town. I went up the WTC, the Empire State, the Statue of Liberty. I visited the Guggenheim and the MOMA. I walked in Central Park, took a helicopter ride around Manhatten, visited Grand Central Station. I did more stuff there than I ever did in London. I saw pretty much all the sights of Rome in a couple of days too. Odd.

I apologise for hijacking the tablet thread, but we have surely exhausted all the useful advice by now.

• Like Like x 1

5. Can I ask how you do that?

our only Internet link is via our iPhones on 3G, and I would like to be able to stream TV, not just Apple TV, to our LCD telly.

cant work out how to do it though.

6. I just push the Apple TV logo that is on the screen, I haven't been in the UK since io7 was released so I don't know where it will be now.

I don't know if you have to be on a wifi network with the Apple TV or not.

7. To the best of my knowledge you do.

8. There's you answer, glidd's the man in the know when it comes to all things fruity

9. You could try setting up a wireless hotspot on your iPhone, connecting your Apple TV to that, then watching I player on your phone and send that way?

Just a guess like

10. Sadly, I know this is not the case. There are definitely people on here who know more about these things than me, as I'm not a geek and not that tech minded. I also don't have an Apple TV, but am now thinking of getting one, as someone gave me a lot of films and I don't want to look at them on my Mac. With Mavericks I should now be able to look at them on the TV with Apple TV. My Macbook not being a Pro, connecting it directly to a TV isn't really possible (problems with the sound, apparently).

We sell Apple TVs, obviously, but until lately, they haven't been that useful with a Mac. I've not played with one extensively.

11. Yes, that might work.
    If you still want to know tomorrow, I'll ask the techies at work.

12. I could send movies to the Apple TV with lion?

13. From a Mac? Could you? I know you could from an iPad, but didn't think it was possible with a Mac on Lion. In the same way, I don't think you could view a Powerpoint presentation on an Apple TV with a Mac previously. Think you can now, but haven't tried.

14. Or use an Airport express as a standalone wireless network (but not connected to the internet) and connect the Apple TV to that, you could also connect the AE to an audio source so you can then also stream music from your iphone to a decent HiFi.

I use a couple of Airport expresses to stream music through the house, much cheaper alternative to Sonos.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes, I only discovered that Airport Express hi-fi wheeze recently. I am not encouraged to promote it! (no money in an Airport Express sale…)

16. none at all, as I buy mine for £45 secondhand but boxed and as new off ebay :upyeah:

17. There is some overlap in what Airport Express with its audio out and Apple TV with its HDMI out can do. It depends upon what you are connecting it to and what functions you require.

I have to say I am warming to Apple products compared to the anarchy that exists with Windows and Android. It would seem that my main concern about Apple ie control / ownership of content is less of a problem in practice than it might have been.

18. Now that we know that the NSA is hacking all communication devices, it no longer seems so important if they are just hoovering up all the info from iCloud. Nowhere is safe.

As for Apple's control - well, that's what makes it a non-anarchic environment.
    Win a few, lose a few.

19. Thanks for the ideas guys.

i have been looking at getting a Jailbroken Apple TV. Is there a jailbreak for the gen3?

might be useful to you John in terms of more freedom of access to content

#79 749er, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  20. but you can miss seeing some lovely architecture and other stuff, that is missed taking the 'easy' option of tube.

when I used to travel to London for work bits I used to love walking -say-from gherkin to strand-, through the back streets, lovely especially on a sunny day.

in Hong Kong last year and I used the local trams everywhere-much more interesting, and v cheap!

Sometimes a little bit of effort can reap some good rewards.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information