1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The switch from MTS1200 to Yamaha Super Tenere

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by viewdvb, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Buy a bike, enjoy it, let it take you places and enjoy good times with or without company. Its your escape from the hum drum, your sanctuary from the working week, your time away from the kids or wife. FFS its only a motorbike it is not an investment, it will go down in value, it will break down, it will cost you money. But it sounds like some people have let their possessions posses them.

You could always just stick your money under the mattress. Who wants to go to the grave being the richest one in the graveyard.

• Like Like x 8
  2. I think the PCP argument makes more and more sense the more expensive the bike is in the first place.

3. Nice post on why you changed but I love my MTS Touring, 13K on a 2011 bike, 9K of that touring in Europe, not missed a heart beat, wouldn't part with it (except for a 2013 version if the wife lets me!). Ride an Yamaha XT660X to work and back, they are like chalk and cheese. But to quote a mate of mine, 'it don't matter what you ride, if it give you a grin on your face every time you ride it then it's the right bike for you'. The MTS does this and more. Ride and enjoy, if you want residuals don't ride the damm thing but wheres the fun in that.

4. What, who?

I hope you were intending to ask before going through me?

• Like Like x 1
  5. and you'll carry the memory forever... unbeatable! :)

6. unless another whim comes down on me, i've decided to keep this MTS till it falls apart from under me... som i'n not calculating on any resale value...
    i'll put 200 K on her and Ducati will put her in the museum! :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Before i bought mine, I did look into this, to PX my Triumph @ £3k a new std one with ABS was £150/month over 3 years, i cannot find the paperwork i had so not sure what the final value was they offered.

8. I'm fairly sure the basic ad that Ducati were showing in magazines showed the value after 3 years was still about £9k. I'll see if i can find it out.

9. interesting post ,i'm in the other position not having the cash to buy new ,was thinking off buying a multi 1200 second hand early next year ,this is putting me off are they troublesome to own ? .i have a old 2003 1000 multi and always ride with the fear its going to break in the back of my mind and it hasn't really !

10. I have had no problem with my 2011 std one, early 2010 models had teething problems, and the complicated suspension on S models have caused problems.

Depending on what you are buying it for play thing or commuting tool, then would consider PCP on a new one, you can then change it every 2 years while its still under warranty if you can afford to do so.

This was my first option, but her indoors moaned about me having a new toy every other year so i decided to buy second hand and keep it for a a while.

My mate had a 1100 DS, he always use to carry a spare relay, as i think that was a weak point on them and a shower cap to cover the clocks with, in case of rain as they were not that waterproof.

Forums always dwell on bad points and never share the good times.

#30 Nik the greek, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blame the police...they don't like it when you're posting on the forums from a smartphone mid-ride :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I don't understand all this worrying about the 2010 bikes.......I've done 20,500 miles on mine with no real problems. The red button was changed during a service (had not caused any trouble) had the new rear brake upgrade and since then it works (and I use it !) had various engine re-maps done during servicing, bike runs fine. Had a leak in the Ohlins fork, but that's an Ohlins fault (had the same on my Aprilia). It's a very good bike, used for three Alpine tours & weekend fun. I've had several Ducati's and they have all been good.

13. Think peoples fears are that once they are out of warranty, some repairs may become very expensive, eg, spoke to delaer about dash problem, early mts lost neutral light, this is an MOT failure, new set of clock £1000 + VAT. Fine whilst you can drop back into dealer to sort but a large lump if you had to stump up from your own pocket

14. I am very gratified by the balanced views posted in my thread. A refreshing lack of the "Ducati can do no wrong" attitudes that I remember without fondness. Some points....

First I clearly stated in my comments on it being hard to sell at high mileage - "dealer or private". Of course I realise that you are not going to get a sensible price from a dealer. As you say, they have to make a profit though, when it comes to part exchange, you might expect the profit on the new bike sale to suffice. That's how the car market works. But I got the same reaction from potential private buyers (I eventually sold it to a Panigale owner who needed a Ducati he could enjoy riding on the road). Every one expressed concern about the mileage. Only a cheap price could allay that concern. Kind of "well, at that price I can afford a few issues". This was in spite of the fact that I had a third year's extended warranty on it. What this says is that even the Ducatisti don't really believe Ducatis are high mileage bikes; that there is some doubt about their long term ownership.
    Second, while I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments about "get out there and ride it; stop worrying about the cost" I can't accept the premise "it will break down". I accepted that when I rode British bikes in the 60s but this is the 21st century. It didn't ought to break down! If you have ever been involved in a breakdown and recovery from the other side of Europe with all of the aggro and ruined trip that involves, you wouldn't accept it either. Or, like me, you wouldn't start out on the Ducati.
    Third, to be fair, after the first year of ownership, with most of the niggles sorted, it was a great bike in all respects. That didn't make up for the first year. To anyone thinking of the new "Skyhook suspended" 2013 model, I say don't. Let Ducati and some other mugs do the troublesome R&D before you buy one in 2014.
    Last, something weird to report on the Super Tenere. Some brainbox on the Tenere forum discovered that, when he shorted out the clutch switch (like the clutch was pulled in) it invoked a whole new engine map. This map turned the Tenere into a rocket very reminiscent of the Multistrada in touring mode. This map is still the subject of much debate but the effect is undeniable. I personally doubt there is any more power but the throttle response is dramatic to say the least. I have fitted a switch to access this mode when I fancy some fun and the best bit? It was totally free. I wonder if other bikes might have a different map hidden under the clutch switch. Food for thought.
    Signing off for the last time
    Dave

15. I will give up biking if I ride round in fear of maybe breaking down. If it blows it blows you can pick up an engine for peanuts for one of those

• Like Like x 1
  16. I've ridden around in Europe several times now on my 900ss ie. No problems so far and always an adventure :).this year in the Ardennes I met 2 guys on a Vincent and a british Enfield, they had been 2 weeks in the Alps and were also having a great time. We could have all stayed at home in case we broke down :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 3
  17. "Last, something weird to report on the Super Tenere. Some brainbox on the Tenere forum discovered that, when he shorted out the clutch switch (like the clutch was pulled in) it invoked a whole new engine map."

Actually something similar happens on the Multi as well........I've mentioned it somewhere and told my dealer/tech. who looked at me like I was talking bol--cks !!

Try riding along and pull in the little metal tab under the clutch lever and the bike will surge forwards........ (better do it on a private road of course !!).

• Like Like x 1
  18. I agree with the general thought of the thread. Purchase the bike you really want, that's the only way you will be happy. ALL bikes have potential to break.

Interestingly I was thinking how many times I have been stranded at the roadside in the past 25 years on bikes........Twice....Both times the same reason, poxy after market fugging alarm immobilisers, i.e Datatool type things, I hate them with a passion and have paid good money to have the things taken off before I go anywhere near a bike fitted with one.
    They are the spawn of the Devil.

Anyway, I digress, Buy a Multi you will love it, just don't put an alarm on it. :biggrin:

19. Viewdvb - I actually contacted you about your bike when I was looking to buy one last year. Whilst the milage was a mild concern (but I realised you had priced it to sell) my main decision not to buy was that I found a low milage Pikes Peak replica in my local dealer. I probably paid over the odds but at the end of the day this was the bike I really wanted. I also do fairly high milage on my bikes and the trade in offered on my Tuono was pathetic (to the point where I sold it privately in the Spring).

I agree that high milage puts some buyers off, but I just think all the great rides make up for it, much better than just looking at a bike sitting in a garage.

20. I love my MTS 1200 S too, more than any of the other 2 dozen bikes I have owned (apart from my TDR 250 perhaps??) However I agree with the viewdvb, I would not contemplate a european tour on it. I know many have, but the though of breaking down fully loaded up with wifey aboard is unbearable. So I have a Goldwing for that and the Ducati for solo fun.:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information