1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The war begins....

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by salmore, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Never felt the need to change my stock zorst, but then it is black (black bike). Black ones looks nicer than the silvery ones. It's probably just a shroud which is black, so maybe you could just buy a second hand shroud.

It obviously isn't as loud as a Termi, but it sounds really quite loud and meaty as stock. If it made a crappy farting noise I would have changed it by now, but it sounds every inch a Duke without having to wear ear plugs.

No idea about power, but then as you were considering less powerful bikes a moment ago, it doesn't look as if a power upgrade is the top of your priority list. Stock 999 still has plenty of poke - considerably more than your 900ss.

2. OK sounds good, thanks buddy. I think I'll just now have to make it out and look at the bike =)
    As long as the stock does not sound like a yamaha's fart we're ok :p

...kind of how my 900ss sounded before I put the remus pipes on.. then it sounded a lot better.

#62 salmore, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  3. I was reading on another forum that ducati released some mix and match models in 2005 of the 999 to get rid of 2004 models, 05 fairings and such but some parts were 04... is there any way to check the actual production date somewhere on the bike when I go to see it? It does have the black rear fork as mentioned ... any pointers?

#63 salmore, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  4. You need to check it has the deep sump engine. That's the main difference apart from the swing arm.

5. Thanks, and I'm sorry for sounding like a noobie... could you explain how I can check this? I've started tinkering with bits and pieces but come from non-mechanical background... thanks :)

6. Good question.

The bottom of it is closer to the ground - I think it sticks out a bit on the bottom, but don't quote me. There are plenty of people on here who really know the answer. Not being a bike cleaning fetishist, I almost never have the fairings completely off with my nose on the ground looking at my sump. I suspect that is what you need to do to be sure. Mind you, it's only 3 quick release fasteners and a rubber coated locating lug in the nose on each side to drop the fairing, so not unreasonable to ask seller to do this.

7. I had a Daytona 955i. Great bike!

I then went to a dealer to test ride a749s & a stock 999. Took the 749 out first and it was sold in my mind instantly. I wasnt even going to ride the 999 but the dealer made me. I was so glad he did!! The 9 was head and shoulders above the 749 in the power stakes it was untrue,so i bought the 9!!

I now have an 848, but my friend bought the 999. He is now putting it up for sale as of today. Its a black 2005 upgraded model, with Termis. Pm me if interested!!

8. OK 999 it is.

How much of a difference monetarily would it be between a
    2003 999 with termis 10k miles (i'm right to say the first model was released in 2003?)
    and 2005 999 with termis 10k miles?

I'm going to see each next couple of days and wanted to know what to expect?

Anyone know if there is a date stamp on the frame or somewhere to check and see which year the model is?

#69 salmore, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. If I was buying another 999 I would definitely be looking for a newer swinging arm model, 2005 ish. What about the Black one that pappadruid mentions, might be in your price range ?

10. Thanks,

I'm awaiting a reply from him to go see it, that's the 2005 one I'm looking at.
    I'm going to see a yellow 999 2003 as well. The 2003 guy wants £3,500 for it, while the black one I'm not sure yet, but sounds like it'll be almost £5,000, which is above what I'm willing to spend...

Thanks,

11. Black obviously.
    Yellow - can you be serious for a 999 (ok for a 749)?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Went to see the 2005 999 with termis last night.
    Absolutely gorgeous.
    Apart from some starting issues as the bike was not ridden for a couple of months and the battery was dead, no problems.
    Rode it home and started just fine this morning for work.

10k miles on it, termi exhausts.

Was really surprised on the handling of the bike, feels a LOT lighter or at least easier to throw around than the 900SS did, obviously a lot more power as well. Keeping it on the low for now, need to get used to the double HP of my SS.

We're doing a ride with my friend tomorrow morning to Devon in the gorgeous weather, if anyone wants to tag along let me know!
    meeting 8AM by Reading.

Here is a long awaited photo, took it at work this morning with my phone thus excuse the quality, the picture does not do it justice.. I'll post some more later.

Thanks again,

Bart

20130503_081234.jpg

20130503_081234.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. How incredibly wise!

You made not only the right choice - you got the right colour! Congrats!

If you want to know about a couple of mods to make a black thing blacker, let me know.

14. Thanks, sure what tips do you have? though I dont know that i'll be doing a lot with it now... bit of a hole in my pocket at the moment :p

Only thing that buggs me, is the clutch cover... I think I'll put a nice black open cover on it soon, other than that no complains at the moment, but suggestions welcome.

15. Best go for a billet aluminium alloy cover, as the carbon fibre ones offer little protection in a fall (I know this from experience).

Quick and cheap short term fix could be to rattle can the current cover black?

Looks nice in black, IMHO. Never really liked the 999/749 aesthetically, but having seen track versions (without the lights) and now in black, it ain't so bad at all.

16. Actually did that to my 900SS spray painted the current one ;) could do that yes..
    I may just get an open alloy one though, thanks for the suggestion.

17. Glad you got sorted out. So you bought the bike on the spot did you. must have been closer to your budget than you expected ? Good buy with it having the Termi fitted and a carbon rear hugger. Any other goodies ? A tail tidy lifts the plate quite a bit and gets rid of the scaffolding that hangs under the can, you just fit round headed bolts to the empty holes once you remove the bracket. Easy mod that makes a big difference to the rear. Enjoy it, take care !

18. Replace exhaust shield with carbon one.
    Replace cambelt covers (at least the visible one) with carbon one.
    Replace air duct covers by fairing with carbon ones (haven't been able to afford to do this yet - it's next).
    Replace nasty OE brake levers with black ones from ASV, Pazzo or similar (or cheapo Chinese if you're feeling confident).
    Anodise footpegs and brackets black.

I haven't touched my clutch cover though I would like it black. But I don't want an open one withe the attendant grit and crap getting into it. And a straight carbon swap offers no protection if you drop the bike on that side.

I still think that a sticker of some sort looks good on the fairing, otherwise it is a bit slabby. The only Ducati Performance part on mine is the sticker...
    I replaced the fluid reservoir caps as well, as the paint peels off them. DP titanium ones are the biz, but rare and massively expensive, so got cheaper ones (sob!).

That's about it. Not exactly bling and not exactly expensive (though it all adds up) but just judicious cosmetic tweaks to get rid of the cheapy plastic bits. As for the anodising, it should have been obvious from the off that the black bike at least should have had black anodised accessories on it. But then one size fits all...

19. Can you point me at one of these? I've looked but never found anything suitable in the past. Agree that all the extraneous stuff hanging off the back looks dross. Thanks.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information