1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The war begins....

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by salmore, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Thanks,
    Paid about £4,700 for it, not bad for the bike.
    couldn't resist.

Came with:
    carbon rear mud guard,
    carbon vents
    carbon heel guards,
    carbon exhaust guard,
    termi 1/2 system

also got
    paddock stand,
    spare new front tire,
    ducati performance ecu (not fitted)
    and a few others.

Gliddofglood > I agree, I dont like too many stickers on them... but one nice ducati performance across the fairing will look lovely, I'll hunt on ebay to get one.

Thanks for the tips.

2. You got a lot of bike for the price, new swinging arm as well. As mentioned the carbon exhaust heat shield looks good. I have had open covers on every one of my Ducati's without any issues. No crap has every got in but the open cover lets the dust out. Carbon covers look good but are about as much use as a sponge leg in a flood if you every dropped it. There a couple of cheap covers and pressure plates on ebay at the moment (used), both for about £70. As for the tail tidy I will have a search, they are usually on ebay. Alternatively, on my old 999 all I did was to remove all of the crap, fitted the clear number plate lens into the top housing (The black blanking plug just slides out when you remove the two screws if I remember rightly) then fit a small led light in the space, you cannot refit the original bulb as it is too big for the housing. Get a piece of steel, alloy etc and bend it to 90 degrees, drill two holes that line up with the two bolts that hold the rear light housing onto the mounting plate, easy tail tidy. You may have to bend the bracket to get the correct angle of the plate but it costs nothing and takes 30 mins to do the lot.

3. I have a brand new carbon clutch cover here. its fully closed and not open but looks superb really setting the bike off compared to the cheap nasty tin stock one..... (what were ducati thinking lol)
    I have a slipper so run an open cover.

4. As others have said, don't go for a carbon clutch cover. They may look nice but you need protection in this area in the event of a spill that carbon can't provide.

I have JHP billet cover on the 1098s and Streetfighter.

Oh, nice bike by the way :upyeah:

View attachment 14734

5. Thanks,

That looks really nice.
    I'll have to get myself one of those... as soon as the hole in my wallet get's patched up :)
    Especially as the cover along will not be enough... will have to get a nice performance red disk as well...

6. Anyone know where you can buy the same thing but without any holes in it? ie a black billet full cover?

7. Just a quick one. I have read over and over again that open dry clutch = happy clutch on a duke.
    How do they do in the rain though? I'm not one who rides in storms or anything, but I do get caught in the rain occasionally or have to commute in it, any problems ?

8. No problem, so long as you rinse out after any winter runs to clear salt, and don't leave standing too long (as plates will stick together due to surface rust).

9. Ha! Joke! I only have to look at my bike for it to rain.

It's been out once this year under clear skies. It still rained on me an hour later.
    Any clutch cover that requires any extra maintenance of any description as a result of seeing rain is not a clutch cover i will be purchasing, no matter how cool it looks.
    They probably don't like jet washers either, I imagine?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oo-er. No! That looks hideously tacky. Do you really need the name of your bike on your clutch "cover"? These people need to think "racing". I can't see any self-respcting WSBK team fitting a thing like that.

11. I ran open covers on mine in ALL weathers for a couple of years. No additional care required as long as you're using it. Went back to closed cover when I got a Titanium one, since trashed but used to the reduced noise now.
    As for the tail tidy Glid, I just used one of these.

ducsmall.JPG

Also, have a look at the numberplate-light housing. There's another one above it which serves no purpose. Remove the lower one, relocate the lamp, wiring and lens to the upper one and hey presto. 1/2 an hour at most. :smile:
    (It'll make sense when looking at it, honest).

ducsmall.JPG

#92 BaggaZee, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Hi Bart

Glad you got back ok and pleased you are enjoying her already!!

Sad for me to see her in someone elses garage, but i know she will be looked after!

Sometimes wish i kept her now............enjoy!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hi quick question. Coming home from work idling a lot in traffic the 999 got to 98 degreec C indicated, is that normal / OK? Just to make sure it seems a lot to me.. what range is ok? Also its liquid cooled isnt it, where can I check cooler liquid level?

14. The fans do not normally cut in until over 102c, might even be higher, cannot remember. If you are stuck in traffic they do rise fairly quickly.

Cannot remember where the water level is now on the 999, sure you can see it down the right side near the foks or somewhere, Somebody who has one or remembers will be along soon to confirm where it is !

I would not worry at all about an open clutch, had them on every Duc I have owned, no issues whatsoever.

15. They do run pretty hot when stood still. This is typical of mine and I have never heard the fans cut in. I have mentioned this to my dealer on several occasions. I'd expect the fans to be on by the time it gets to 106° but still don't think they are. Mind you, I wouldn't expect it to get to those temperatures in this weather. But overheating is really the only issue I have had with mine.

16. Personally, I wouldn't ever consider a Buell. A few friends of mine had them and they lasted about as long as a politicians promise.

I did have an RSV1000 Factory and it was great, a real hoot. However, it's not a Ducati and as much as I tried, I couldn't stop wishing I was on a Ducati whilst riding it. So, for me, it would be the 999.

17. A friend of mine bought a new Buell Ulysses, shipped it to Anchorage, Alaska, rode it to Buenos Aires, Argentina, shipped it home, and sold it: "only six months old, one careful owner", etc. Actually he said it was totally reliable on his long ride down.

18. Thanks guys. Got up to 102C and fans kicked in. Seemed fine no problems starting when hot either. Just wasnt used to the bile getting that hot. It was about 22c today standing in traffic in the sun. As soon as I started moving temp went down.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information