Thinking of taking your Panigale out on Track ?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by 998gsb, Apr 14, 2012.

2. It's going to be a small grid when the Supermono/Classic singles get to Oulton then :tongue:

....did get a snide comment (probably the same tester) when I rode past the trackday noise test at Oulton last year .... as I pulled up on my SS to talk to a mate he said "No way that's getting through" .... get the feeling he doesn't like red Italian bikes !

3. Well Focused events are supposed to be getting Panigales for hire bikes, so if they can take them on track it must be ok for the rest of us 1199 owners

4. My 1200 Multi registered 104.5 db with standard exhaust . How can they test a twin at 5000 rpm (about half it's rev range) and then a 4 cylinder at 5750 revs ( about a third of it's rev range).?

5. Interesting link to MSV site, Merchant Banker tester insisted it was 7k for a 600 twin, 102 db and if you had 2 pipes he was tested both independently. It says 5500, 105db and a mean of both pipes ie test n the middle! Going to print that off and shove it up both his nostrils next time!

6. The MSV test is almost verbatim to the ACU test. The trest parameters are like for like. A good idea to print off and take to MSV circuits.

7. I have the feeling you will Paul!
    Effin Job's worths!

8. Can MSV explain why it's 102db for bike trackdays yet 105 db for car trackdays? Surely if it's related to managing noise on 'non race days' then the limit should be the same!

9. More bikes out on track at once......fewer cars....

10. db killers used on panigale were botched from 1098 termi db killers. The exhaust valve was also closed but still didn't get the beast down to 102db. Consensus of opinion was that the problem noise was coming from the mechanical engine noise and the fact that the tester was measuring at the exit of the exhaust so very close to the engine. The exhausts are soo close to the ground that the sound probably does bounce off the concrete.
    Got the impression that the noise tester got sick of the bike by the end of the day and wouldn't have passed it anyway regardless of noise level.

My 1098 makes 103db on OEM exhausts and fails the Oulton test so it's not a surprise the panigale does. There was comments that this needs sorting or a lot of pre ordered panigales will end up sitting in the showroom.

11. Go there now and you'll see one, every bike gets tested.

12. You may get tested ay Mallory these days. I was tested on a track day two weeks ago. Static at 6.500 revs. Residents are complaining there too.
    Ruffs

13. Its all gone a bit daft. You can ride it up the high street, in town etc but not on a race track.

They are ok in France at most tracks but are starting to become a pain at some.

Nogaromille, just a quick question, what does a 57mm Termi exhaust make on a 999?

Like Jerry, I will keep a standard bike in the van when I go to to track days. Saves a wasted trip.

14. Just as an update to this issue.....we were at Oulton last Friday, with the std road going demo bike...with a std road exhaust...now bear in mind this is a BSB test with all the other race bikes present too, including that horribly "noisy on the overrun" Kawasaki of Gary Mason's........
    The Oulton employee who was doing the noise test wasnt at all interested in MSV's own rule about how and where the microphone should be placed relative to the can exits, he just stuck it in the end of the can....."Just over 105dB mate, you're ok " was his retort. I have printed and laminated their own rules and will have them ready when we take the race bikes there with the full blown termis.......
    I'm afraid I cant answer that Gregory,,,what I can say is that a full Ti SPARK system as fitted to my 999, WITH the dB killers, makes 99dB according to the Snetterton man.....who is almost as vociferous as the Oulton man.....they were separated at birth methinks......

15. that kwakker puts out humungeous power!

16. 'looking' at a 'blade trackbike. It's an '08 model with lots of toys - suspension, brakes, tc, wheelie control... 200 and something at the wheel and was tested at Cadwell at 102db. Without db killers.

17. Just Been to Mallory. Multistrada 1200 with full Temignoni, baffle in. Came out at 98db. There was a couple of 1098s there too who didn't have any probs..

18. At Oulton Park as you say Cars are 105 Db and the Bikes are 102 DB as a static test: However even after a static test you can still be removed if you trip the " drive by " limits cars being 92Db and Bike's being 89Db.
    But at Snetterton both Cars and Bike's have the same drive by of 92Db , while Cadwell Park only have a static test's of 105Db for both cars and Bikes with No Drive By.
    One of the main reasons for different noise limits between Cars and bikes is track vehicle limit. Bike limit at Oulton is 48 on track at a time while the limit for Cars is just 36, and likewise for Snetterton the Bike limit is 66 at a time on the 300 circuit and cars is just 45 so i would think that is where the noise issue comes in to it.

#39 Dave-748, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
Do Not Sell My Personal Information