1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Riding Training

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by pegboy, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Superbike School is a winner

I did all four levels as a student and loved it. I still think it's the best money I've ever spent on biking :wink:

2. Watch the TOTW oh dear that acting is bad bad and bad. Will try and keep the thoughts for Tuesday. That two way steering is a bit strange was trying it on the monster the other day on a quiet road, I,m thinking in the twisty bits on track will be interesting but I am sure if I can understand and get use to it it will become second nature

• Like Like x 1
  3. Practice practice practice. Whether on a sunday ride, a nip to the shops or trackday. Do the drills.

4. I just watch 4 episodes of the CSS (thanks bradders). Now I need to work out a way of securing the bike to practice , lean, knee to knee. It has already highlighted many things I need to change, like getting weight off the Handle bars, not lifting out of the seat, corner entry and the list goes on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lol just ride it! An hour on a local twisty road, slow and steady and build up some speed. Then repeat often as you can.

6. Well after a day of fantastic fun day at Silverstoneyesterday, weather was on my side, I tried to put into practice all the adviceand knowledge gained from this thread and the You Tube tutorials from the CSS.I must say at first the new position, turning etc. felt really weird, however Istuck with it and after a few sessions it start to feel really comfortable andapart from having wrong gears out of corners I felt allot more confident on thebike. Even my mate said my style was totally changed for the better. And whatwas really pleasing for me is that I started to get my knee down towards theend of the day. However I now need to adjust on my gearingas too many times i was in the wrong gear out of corners, but overall I was really happy with my progress.

Have some great footage, (Cameras back and front) of me and my mate fightingfor position, I don't have film editing etc. yet, but we ran two windows sideby side on the laptop and it looked great, for us novices.

Looking for the next track day now.

Thanks to all your comments and advise small steps

Oh and my legs are really sore today, hope thats a good sign that the weight has shifted from my arms to the bars to my legs??

#26 pegboy, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Just watched TOTW 2 on line and bought the book. Cheesy as Stilton but some great tips!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sore legs = good :upyeah:

no carry on doing it on road rides...

9. On a track day, how slow is the slowest group? I'm itching to take the SS out, but can't risk riding on the road. The reality is a gentle bimble round a track is probably the safest option, but I'm rather apprehensive of the speeds involved - even for the slow group. Would you be causing too much of a road block keeping it to a maximum of around 80 or so?

I just can't risk a crash at this stage, so it would be granny lean angle and less than aggressive breaking and accelerating.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Depends which track. Where you based? Llandlow would be ideal, brands indy not too bad

11. Speak to Mark at MADASL, he gets good prices at castle Combe and they only have 12 on track per session so you don't get in anyone's way

12. What he ^ said.
    Had a little outing (my first) there myself. Brilliant fun and even in a larger group things soon spread out...:upyeah:

#32 Nelson, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  13. I'm in Milton keynes. Good info here folks, thanks. Castle coomb is probably a good option, I do like the idea of only 12 bikes on track at any one time.

14. May be worth a look at rockingham national then. Big track lots of space but easy to learn and dont think its that fast

15. Well, if you speak French and want to do some French tracks, these people are brilliant: BMC Moto

That probably wasn't much help. Sorry.

But they do do special Ducati days for Ducatis only (which is very cool) and the courses are over 2 days. You learn every corner on the track and these lessons are interspersed with free practice where you apply what you've just learnt (and wonder how you should be doing the other corners you haven't yet learnt). Top notch tuition from French racers with more titles between them than you can shake a stick at. And I found them to be very funny, which helps.

16. Hmm. This doesn't sound too wise.

The whole point of being on track is to maximise lean angle and brake and accelerate highly aggressively. That is what you are supposed to be learning to do.

17. Sorry to drudge up an old thread but what fantastic thread with loads of great advice.

Me and a friend have been discussing doing a track day but aren't very experienced at riding fast. Riding through traffic , filtering, great but twisties? Pure novices. I've got my girlfriend to order me the TOTW2 book for my birthday and I'm going to watch the vid tomorrow, that and the CSS vids.

18. Fast Bikes have a snapshot of the training avaailable in this months mag. Also Hottrax are running a euro Td where yiu can pay £120 and get tuition from (forgot fiirst name) Skinner who has loads of expereince and seems a great way to do it.

19. Thanks Bradders. I'll look into the Hottrax, no doubt it will be sold out though!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information