1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackday tires for next season

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by JimDane, Dec 10, 2013.

1. They do last well and perform at inters/back-end fast group pace but I found the grip ran out pretty quick. However, I tool the, off kine and a mtae had them and raced on the, for 3 weekends and still has them fitted. But he's smoother than me

2. Spinning back a bit. The R10 is a brilliant trackday tyre. Grip wise its tops, I got all brave and hamfisted in Almeria but the bugger didn't let go. Almeria is an abrasive track and I did a brand spanking medium compound rear in a day, and I'm not Casey Stoner either.

3. I just did Valencia and Almeria on D211 slicks. Two days at Almeria (quite a lot more abrasive than Valencia looking at the damage), but the tyres lasted 2/3 days easily, with no reduction in grip on either.

I have a mate who started to run the Superbike Pros, and they last ages (on a 1098R, which doesn't lack grunt as his has a full works system on it and he is hard on the gas). They seem quite promising even at quick pace. Was temped to try some of those next. But I still have plenty of D211 slicks left in a 190. Can't find any more in a 180 for the 848 though.

But Donington on Tuesday looks wet again - so I guess I don't need any more slicks just now!

4. So I've been running Metzler Racetech Interact K3s which have done 3days at Cartagena and 2 days at Brands. I tend to push the front hard and now need to put some new rubber on before Silverstone in July. I have been very pleased with the K3s but (hopefully) as the temperature rises for the summer something a little softer would be nice. I am considering a K2F/K1R combo but see that Metzler are doing a new slick, the CompK. I'm not a Dunlop man, too pointy for me so I'd prefer something more progressive. Experiences and opinions appreciated. Andy

Yes, scrub that - no pun intended. Done some more research and decided to go with my first thoughts of the Metzler Racetech Interact K2 front and K1 rear.

#24 Android853sp, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. Yeah, I also have hear good things about the longetivity of the Pirellis, please keep us posted after some trackdays.

I have a few first impressions after two intense trackdays on D211 (on the Gixxer). It's pretty important hint is to use the correct rear tyre pressure, I started out at 1.7 bar on the rear and got some ugly rips before turning down the pressure to 1.45 bar and got no more rips. They stick really well and I have had no issues at all, no slides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Being new to all this track tyre business (I've just done my first 2 days on a dedicated track bike) where does everyone get their tyres from? I've heard good and bad about buying them online so any recommendations welcome. I've just bought a new R10 rear (see pic of old on) from the local tyre guy for £161 fitted....seemed OK to me?
    20140617_185202.jpg
    20140618_090028.jpg

7. Done one trackday so far on the Superbike pro slicks and v impressed
    Seem to grip very well and impressed at how they heat up and actually stay up at temp - when I came in and put onto warmers the green light came on for temp within about 10 seconds?!
    They run at very low pressures (my first time on slicks though)
    Felt very vague at front particularly when went out and they were cold but after 1 lap they had improved and got better
    Hope they last - if they do then they are my tyre of choice !

Do Not Sell My Personal Information