1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph 800 Tigers - Anyone Know Anything About Them?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Advikaz, Nov 20, 2015.

1. I'm in that space at the moment. I can't see the point of having a huge adventure bike and might downsize. Originally it was to do some cross euro country offroad trips but they are unlikely to happen unless I do them on my own.

2. Try an SMT. Less outright power than your 1190 (though its not a million miles away) but just the same eager KTM character and it feels lighter, leaner and sharper. The chassis is exemplary, smooth and accurate, the steering feather-light, there's bags of ground clearance and you can use every bit of it.
    Opinion is divided on the seat. Its not the softest but it isn't terrible by any means and it can always be reupholstered inexpensively.
    Tank range isn't the best for touring and the 990 engines are designed to consume oil so you need to take some with you but as an every day go-to bike that will do anything and always be hugely good fun its unbeatable. The Tiger is a great bike but the SMT is a gem. I wouldn't swap it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Like gimlet I'm a major KTM fanboy. Had a 990 SMR before my multi. Same frame as the SMT, the tourer just has more fairing up front and more fork length. I do sometimes still miss it and I'm sure the new GT coming out will be awesome. Also never had a problem with my KTM, the 990's seem very reliable. Only theft took it from me.

4. I Had a Tiger 800 abs bought with 400 miles on the clock ran it for 18 months did 5000 miles without a hitch absolutely bullet proof engine and no rust on it, around 50mpg depending on how strong your right wrist is and you could ride it smoothly in 6th gear at 30mph. The standard screen is crap and after several try outs with various screens go for the genuine "Givi" two piece screen problem solved and it is seriously adjustable. Have to say it was one of the best bikes I have owned and I have owned lots.
    Regards,
    Faz.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information