1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ukip. Hahaha

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by finm, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Food for thought, here. I've considered myself a Europhile up until now because I feel that Westminster has proven itself entirely incapable of running the country and the only real alternative is for Brussels to take over.

Regrettably, I am beginning to see that Europe has no better idea of how to run a country. What to do? Vote Tory (chase the buck merchants), or vote Labour (chase the vote jockeys)? It really is no wonder that folks become disenfranchised with regard to politics. There are no palatable options.

Feel free to disagree with this post, I know I will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. yes there is. i feel reinvigorated when it comes to politics.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Come on has Ducatiforum not fixed the UK's political balls up yet.. I think Ducatiforum should run for government :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Spot on. In 1975 we were invited to vote for and enter the Common Market, which we did. What was not publicised at the time was the not very hidden agenda of total political union, what we have been seeing since then are the necessary steps to bring that about. The architects of the Euro knew that it would create it's own crisis but the necessary solution would be the final integration to the Super State they desire.

UKIP is the only party to stand against that integration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I just had a meeting with a guy from the FSB,turns out in the course of the conversation that he is the UKIP candidate for the constituency next to ours.
    Really nice chap from a relatively low-income background,has built and owned several businesses in his lifetime,now retired but wants to advise and assist/help other small businesses grow.
    We chatted a lot about the whys and wherefores of EU membership,how it affects my industry,whats the best course of action etc,etc.
    He didn't have two heads,he wasn't racist,he was completely rational,and we discussed at length the possible pro's and con's of staying in/leaving/trying to renegotiate.(possible consequences,because no one can say what will or won't happen-what will be will be).
    The media,(and some on here), like to portray UKIP as a party of snarling,bigoted Little Englanders.
    I have an open mind about who to vote for,as every party has their good and not-so-good policies,but he came across as both principled and reasonable,with a well thought out answer to my questions.
    If he was standing in our area,I would consider voting for him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I don't think UKIP in government is a good idea, but I do think a strong showing from them in 2015 is a good thing. I hope there is a big turn out too. Westminster is totally corrupt and it needs to be cleaned up. Looking at the protests in parliament square last weekend you can only conclude our democracy is going down the pan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. i think it's a great idea.
    thing is is it any better or worse? or just better reported? that can depend on your point of view.
    how can devolution be good for uk (south of the boarder) regarding growth but bad for you know where?
    it's all bollox.
    think i need to buy my pegaso back, that should help with the post referendum and winter blues. winter never really stopped me before i bought the ducs.not a big fan of the soapy bucket and hose.

8. In a sense Ukip are in government already because they are driving much of the political debate. Farage has always maintained that he has no ambition to be in government, he wants only to see the process of governance returned to our own sovereign parliament, and then he can go back to his proper job. The irony is that he will have to become a senior politician to achieve that as it is abundantly clear that Cameron has not the slightest intention of leading Britain out of the EU, only in ticking the electoral referendum box subject to whatever conditions will allow him to wriggle out of ever holding one. But if Ukip's rise continues the party's seasoned political operators will eventually outnumber the plucky amateurs. Some Tory wag once described Ukip as the provisional wing of the Rotary Club. It was meant to be a witty put-down but its the kind of insult that backfires in politics because it reaches beyond political opponents and directly insults the voters.
    It amazes me that with the vast sums they spend on spin-doctors and media manipulators, the main parties still haven't grasped how utterly counter-productive it is to insult and slander Ukip and their policies, and by extension those people who support the party, and how shallow and cynical those doing the slandering appear. The more they are jeered the more implacably determined voters become. Defections that might have been protests become permanent, and apathetic voters who might have stayed at home on election day suddenly discover a democratic purpose they didn't know they had - which might explain Ukip's ability to accommodate dyed-in-the-wool voters from both Labour and the Tories at the same time. You can't smear people as loonies, fruitcakes and closet racists one moment, then offer a parody of the policies you once derided the next and expect to be taken seriously and win back support. And you demean your public office if you try.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I still struggle with gettmg past that documentary several years ago about ukip and farage. He wasnt polished back then but clearly was enjoying the lifestyle of the Eu gravy train. Seems he is not alone in his party doing that.

10. It's not counterproductive though, it's exactly what they want.

They throw a few bones to the public. The public loves this shit; the tension, the arguments, the 'feuds' between politicians. This get's them interested, wound up, engaged and think they have a new choice.. It's just a charade mate

In the end it's the same merry-go-round, nothing changes and the politicians love it.

#112 fred11, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  11. Who wouldn't if they found themselves in the same position. MEPs don't get expenses, they get allowances.

12. Big Brother for the Chattering Classes ?

13. Exactly that

14. There are many reasons why Politicians of most parties irritate me,but three things stand out more than the rest:
    The absolute and complete inability of the majority of them to answer a question
    They spend most of their time denigrating the other parties policies:they should be explaining why I should vote for them,not why I shouldn't vote for someone else
    The continuous praise of everyone who receives the taxpayers dollar...for Christs sake,no-one is conscripted nowadays,if you joined the NHS/Fire Brigade/Police force/Civil Service,you joined up to do a job...why MP's,Councillors et al feel the need to keep slapping you on the back just for doing it I shall never know.
    Those of us outside this insulated bubble just get on with it,draw our wages,and those that go the extra mile get rewarded by promotion or financially...without the need for public displays of adoration by their bosses....

#116 Lightning_650, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Adoration is cheaper than pay increases. Isn't that obvious?

16. The recent disability mistake made by a Conservative MP pretty much sums up how things are. I listened to his full comments and understood exactly what he meant. I cant stand tories but I felt sorry for him a bit. We are at a stage now where instead of challenging policies, they attack syntax and take literal interpretations of what someone said. Its fucking childish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. having a disabled sister (altho not in a job where her disability will affect her job, primary teacher) i think i can comment. and have to agree with the boots, i might come as a surprise that i am no lover of tory scum..

18. Did he not say that the productivity of a disabled person may be lower than an abled bodied person (obviously depending upon the nature of the disability) and that the state could step in and effectively subsidise the employment of the disabled person rather than have them languishing on benefits ? Is this not a desirable thing ?

Unfortunately examining the precise words used by politicians and placing your own spin on them for political gain is becoming the norm, and it is not restricted to any one party.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information