1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University and Degrees...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by pingping010101, Dec 29, 2013.

1. I thought you only cross dressed on Fridays?

2. That's my precious

3. No ony with days that end in a Y

4. I'm not making a point. I know that's how it is for all of them. Its just a lot of debt for any 18 year old to be racking up and I hope her studies are worth it for her.
    She knows roughly where she wants to be headed but I'm not sure whether she's got a precise career path mapped out and I don't think its realistic to expect that of an 18 year old. They don't know anything about life. They've only just started dipping their toes in it. She isn't old enough to have had a proper job for any length of time. Its tough to expect kids to grow instant wise heads the moment they leave school.
    I think if you manage to find in your teens or early twenties the career that will see you through life you're extremely fortunate. It takes a lot of people till they're 50. The out of school and straight to uni route of today can be a very expensive way to tackle life's learning curve.

• Like Like x 1
  5. When I am sober and be can arsed to read this thread I will make a really sealant point. Not today though. But it is a really good point. Bet you can't wait.

6. Seriously, it's a great point

7. I worked and studied.
    First as a young man on day release (unpaid) for an ONC then an HNC in electronics. Didn't learn anything on the ONC that I didn't already know as a "kid that played with wires".
    Later it took £20k\10 years to get my MBA (took so time out in the middle due to work in China).
    Again all self funded and time from holidays and weekends.

I think life is difficult, if it easy we'd all do it.

8. At least that will stop the air getting out.

9. I was still a foetus at the time, actually pinched it on account of not yet having finger prints at the time ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. my understanding of a lot of yoofs, is that uni provides a way out from having to decide where to work or at least avoid the prospect of working or delaying it for a few years...especially having to start on the bottom rung

At 18 who hasn't or won't have any debt......

11. Your not a scouser by chance?

12. i did my onc / apprenticeship then onto the tools, i soon discovered all the juicy bits go on in the office, the "envelopes" the "dentist appointments" and all the best jobs on site are dished out so i made myself in disposable and ended up as site manager. mixed it with a lot of degree boys who had the papers but little sense of self worth or what the job was about. being a resorsefull chap i realised they wanted to do 37 hours and go home...i'd do 84 hours a week and be earning as much as the MD!

BUT as you get older you have to progress in education aswell as position. So i did an HNC/D at college on day release. i found it hard if im honest. young family back then plus working away and then bloody homework.

im now in a higher position, in a different business than i started out. But what i learned business wise has seen me through. i'm considering my CPD route for next year with maybe a business degree to see me to the top.

BUT i will always have my trade to fall back on and i earned as i went so thats the route i can suggest to my son.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Its how it should be Micky, work up from the ranks, then you have the experience and knowledge that if someone comes up and asks a question you have more chance of given them a useable answer.

I work in the gas industry and had a few managers that if you asked them how to do a full bore connection on a gas main they wouldnt have a clue.

14. Just a thought here ...

It's hard to get an "apprenticeship" in teaching, especially at higher levels, without going to Uni or getting some form of further education.
    It's hard to get on-the-job training in the field of theoretical physics - well, without some sort of grounding anyway.
    You won't find that you will eventually get a PhD in History "when the old man retires".

In some cases, Uni is essential. It's not that I disagree with the idea of "student dossers" but, you know, Uni exists for a reason even if you don't like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. totally agree Loz. my daughter wants to be a vet, she'll have to get professionally trained.

it wasn't an option for me, no one in our family has ever been to uni.

But the whole idea of work is to earn money, starting off with a massive debt seems counter intuitive to an un educated man like myself.

16. thats ok we are all expected to share in whoevers' debt.....its our duty.......apparently.....

17. if you're unhappy with your savings interest,have a look a crowd funding:you choose the level of risk you are willing to take,and the amount you are willing to lend to an individual company.You also get to set the level of interest you are willing to lend at,thats not to say the potential borrower will accept your offer.
    My firm has just financed several new vehicles via a crowd funding company,(the Government guarantees 10% of the loan btw),and it now has a finance agreement with 2644 lenders....some have only lent £20,I think the biggest was £2000...
    It definitely makes it more personal seeing 101 pages of names that were up for lending to a small firm like mine

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Would you like to start a thread on this topic, and give more details & links?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. It will be my pleasure....

20. Not till next sept.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information