1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University and Degrees...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by pingping010101, Dec 29, 2013.

1. so true. some people are born to lead.
    others are square pegs in round holes.
    hit them hard enough and they will fit....but they will never be a naturally good fit !

2. It's my opinion that you learn how to lead by being led. Those that can identify and emulate the good aspects of other leaders and have a good understanding of the men and women beneath them and the task in hand are in the best position to lead.

• Like Like x 1
  3. To lead or be lead .
    Led. Light emitting diode.

4. verb (past and past participle led /lɛd/)
    [with object]
    1cause (a person or animal) to go with one by holding them by the hand, a halter, a rope, etc. while moving forward:
    she emerged leading a bay horse
    [with object and adverbial of direction] show (someone or something) the way to a destination by going in front of or beside them:
    she stood up and led her friend to the door

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/lead

5. Looks like we need to get these dictionary writers together and produce just one .
    And ears me finkin itz becuz you is from Wiltshire !

Strong in the arm weak in the head
    Wiltshire born and Wiltshire bred

Just like ,what 'I is

6. ah, she was showing her friend how to be a leader…..

7. Unfortunately a lot of employers are short sighted and want degrees. 3 years ago I was made redundant and found myself in a difficult market looking for work. I left school at 18, studied day release to qualify as an accountant and had 21 years experience when made redundant. I got turned down for a few roles purely because I didn't have a degree, these were jobs that I was well qualified and experienced to do, but employers have to short list somehow. So is a degree worthless? Not if it gets your CV read, IMHO. I view my accountancy qualification exactly as that - something to get someone to take the trouble to read my CV, no more, no less, and obviously not enough in difficult times.

On another note, a friend had 25 years in the Navy and was looking to leave. I offered to proof read his CV and it was awful! I think this is where anyone "time served" needs help, as in the military I don't think you have to formally apply for your job every few years like in public life (each "restructure" I went through was a formal re-application and I think this is common in large firms).

It's fine knowing how to do a job but you need the letters behind your name to get your CV read, you need a good CV to get an interview, you need a good interview technique to get the job......and then you can actually prove whether you can do it or not. This is a generalisation of course, and is already starting to change with greater volumes of information available to employers (e.g. LinkedIn, Facebook etc.) but there's still a way to go with that yet. I think all employers Google candidates names before committing these days to make sure there's nothing "incriminating" available about you on the net, especially if you have an unusual name as it's easier to find!

• Like Like x 1
  8. This is very true, yard labourer and HGV drivers aside, the company I work for has a 'graduates only' policy for new starters now.

Having seen some of the spectacularly hopeless applicants we gave had in the past you would understand why...

9. a company I used to work for introduced the same policy, after a procession of half witted bell ends, they dropped that one pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The company I work for is run by half witted bell ends.......

• Like Like x 1
  11. many are :frown:

12. The educational "closed shop" approach is becoming prevalent no matter the discipline.
    Seems those that have got their cycling certificate then feel that everyone else must! :rolleyes:

Stang's post is pretty much on the nail in my experience. Silly really, just means you end up with people with the same education and ideas from the same text books... Obviously the usefulness of this will depend on the profession. In the business world it's often beneficial to have people that can think differently.

Above all you need good people who just happen to be accountants/marketers/sales droids.

I never ceases to amaze me how some of the most useless and ineffectual idiots manage to get promoted and still carry on being fl'ing useless, but get paid even more for doing so!

13. Ours 'prefer's' degree or equivalent, I have to say I knew someone here and got a recommendation and that helped as HR would have just ditched my CV otherwise.

It's not quite the same but I went and did an apprenticeship at 16, then IT in my firm got outsourced and basically because we were under-grads, our scheme got dissolved. I decided to give up work and go back to college to do a Diploma. I did find that I had a much better appreciation for how 'easy' it was in full time education compared to work, and being 18-19 I found it easier to knuckle down and do the work.

I then got a job in a local IT firm where I was part of the furniture for 6 years, I now have nearly 3 years with a huge Telco firm on my CV but I bet you there are a load of firms out there that wouldn't touch me without I go and get a degree, totally stupid.

Good plan with OU, it shows an application and mindset to learn and that's important.

14. The company I work for is also introducing a graduate only entry scheme, the fact that the vast majority are already graduates seems to have passed over their heads.

15. To be honest, i never did my degree for a job. I did it because a recession hit and I had no qualifications apart from CSE's etc. The uni was 5mins from my home. I got made redundant and couldn't find work. I did it for something to do. No-one was more surprised than me when I graduated with a 2:1 Honours Degree in Mech Eng.

Now I sit at a desk. On a PC. I'm C.Eng now and I fucking loathe it. Bored. But I am paranoid about my mortgage. Ive been homeless before and now I overcompensate. Hence why I do a job I despise. Just to make sure I pay the mortgage.

I'd be happier, covered in oil with a spanner in my hand. Like the proverbial pig in shit. But my mortgage stops me taking a risk and changing careers and becoming a simple mechanic. I'd be happy. Money doesn't interest me apart from paying the mortgage. Maybe I should do something about it this year.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Life's a bit short to be miserable.

17. No maybe about it,mate,either you sort yourself out or you'll be saying the same thing next year.
    No such thing as a simple mechanic though.The bloke who looks after my trucks is not only one of the smartest people I know,he's also multi-skilled,thinks ahead,analyses and diagnoses problems like you wouldn't believe,and will get me parts at prices I could never negotiate....
    If he doubled his prices I'd still go there,(in fact I keep telling him to put his prices up but he won't do it),he's that good.
    Get yourself a reputation like his and your kids will be going to private school...not bad for a member of the Black Hand Gang,eh?:upyeah:

18. relocate, i will give you a job.

19. Its not what you know its who you blow, The cocksucker always prevails! Round pegs into round holes :upyeah:Happy New Rear.

20. Now that's the sign of a quality education-saying so much, succinctly and accurately, in a single word. Top notch!

:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information