1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University and Degrees...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by pingping010101, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Sweary. If I could re-do things from the age of 16 I'd pursue physics or maths. I wasn't interested in learning at that time though, and left home at 16 to get a job and find me own way. How very short sighted.

2. Cunt is a beautiful british word. Plus it offends people. Its my favourite word.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. 4d i was more in to visualizing double D. yeh teachers where feckers i was shite at English and spelling the only English exam i ever passed was my prelim very good pass it was as well my english teacher at the time just gave me bike magazines to read to keep me quite. i was very good at tech drawing but they wouldn't let me do the o level. my arithmetic teacher was constantly calling me a lier because i could do all that pish in my head so feck it gave up. up shot got myself a trade. why is the focus these days all about degrees, try getting someone to come in to the trade its impossible.

4. So I hope you can manage to change the belts on your bike alone. :Cigar:

5. wrong qualifications should be at the top of the CV

recruiters get so many applications they do a few simple sifts

degree yes/no
    under / over 35

this reduces the number of cv's by about 80%

then they start to read them

having 30 plus years experience, being fully qualified and chartered but not having a degree and over 50 years old I know first hand that 90% of recruiters delete my cv without even reading it because there is no degree and because of my age.

fortunately the other 10% do and in the last 8 years of doing contract work I am in work 99% of the time

the real piss off is that having a degree implies that you have survived a 3/4 your shagging and drinking festival and very little else, about 90% of those going to university are given a degree, however my professional qualifications had pass rates under 50% basically because the professional body holding the exams failed people to restrict the number of qualified people to restrict competition and increased their earnings potential - unfortunately the kpi driven recruitment industry don't recognise this as most of them grew up in tony b liars degree culture

• Like Like x 1

6. If you can manage it then it must be simple. :Cigar:

• Like Like x 1
  7. all my leaders are degree holders.......and the succession planning ensures we get more of the same with special ones called high potential....and zero to hero in less than 5 years barely touching the day to day shoite..

have i told my story of a Superintendent (with 10 years in the job) who demanded support to him as he was blocking the road with a 4x4 car that wouldnt move..... he had sat there for 15 mins with the area grinding to a halt....

the hero arrives to identify that his kids had kicked the hi lo box into neutral...

i signed off as "low potential"

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm sure that the Highway Code mentions something about being familiar with the operation of the vehicle before setting off.
    I could be wrong though, I've never really read it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. every cop driving/riding course starts with a highway code and road craft exam.......50 questions....more often than not its the highway code one thats re sat:eek:

10. Utter bollocks.

While I agree there are a lot of pointless degrees, business studies, international relations etc. The idea that university is just a big piss up is so far away from the truth its not funny. My degree was 3 years of continuous assessment and bloody hard work. Yes we went drinking, what 19 / 20 year old doesn't? But to claim that all students do is drink and shag is totally inaccurate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. my niece is doing a degree at the moment....................no hang on, she has ponced her way around new zealand for the last 12 months...........!

12. I got sent out to retrieve a fast-tracker who had taken one of our development cars out (the ones with all the disguise stickers on) As it can't be left too long in any one place.

He had reported that the pedal box has collapsed away and can't be driven, These cars are all hand built with and not in an Aston Martin kind of way.

I found the pedal box was fine and that the seat had scooted back on it's runners...

There's the future.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Most of the problems I encounter at work involve guys who 'have been doing this all my life' and can't possibly be wrong...

The door swings both ways, experience is essential as is education.

• Like Like x 1

14. but the point is both have their up sides and down sides.........yet society appears to be favouring one rather than the other when both should be recognised for their contribution rather than the merits of just a piece of paper!

• Like Like x 1
  15. What is frustrating is that due to the high number of applications, the piece of paper is a bar to consideration no matter how good you may or may not be. If you aren't even looking at a large number of applicants then how do you know you're getting the best person for the job!

16. Fuck em do what I did and work for yourself, being self employed is the worlds best kept secret

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. you've clearly not been through the post university job hunt then, its a standard moan for graduates about how hard it is to get a job BECAUSE they have no experience...

18. So if you have a degree but no experience then you are unemployable. If you have experience but no degree you are unemployable. If you are over the age of 35, and thus likely to have both a degree and experience you are unemployable. What the f*** is going on here?

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. is it hard for them to get a job because these post graduates want to walk into a huge wage..........

20. Indeed, why can't they be satisfied with paper rounds and dish-washing jobs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information