1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University and Degrees...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by pingping010101, Dec 29, 2013.

1. i'm always looking for ex reme riggers, hgv 1 drivers crane drivers flt drivers that can rig....

• Like Like x 1
  2. This country is awash with reasonably well-paid jobs that don't/shouldn't need a degree or anything,just a willingness to work hard and learn the trade.
    But ever since Governments started saying every kid was going to go to University, parents/kids have been brain-washed in to thinking that if they don't have a degree,they won't get work.
    If the kid has spent a number of years being told that these qualifications are necessary,they are hardly going to join the queue for employment that doesn't
    Successive governments have limited the amount of jobs/hours kids can do,and extended the time they have to spend in education.
    So now you have a country where a lot of those entering the workforce are clutching a worthless piece of paper,too old to learn the skills the real world requires,and have relied on mum and dad to fund and manage their lifestyles up to now.
    It should come as no surprise that UK companies are taking on people who come from countries with a stronger work ethic and ability to manage their own affairs.A very large number of immigrant workers work hard at jobs not considered of value by our own unemployed,so the immigrant is earning the money/renting-buying the houses/driving the economy/and in a lot of cases,sending money abroad to help their families.If they can do that,the wages can't be that bad...
    You only have to watch the BBC or Sky to see how this brain washing continues: the constant demand for benefits that can only really work for office-based or public sector workers,such as extended maternity leave,workplace creche,etc,etc.
    This country will only be able to compete successfully in the Global economy if there is a radical shift in public perception,i.e a job is a job,and a job means money...you don't have to be a latin spouter/money shuffler/burden on the taxpayer to earn a good living....

#162 Lightning_650, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  3. Lightning 650 Well I wouldn't say to old to learn anything, I didn't come in to my own till I was 40, The company I work for put me in college, I now have certificates for Autocad 2D & 3D and they put me through my NVQ for gas network designing, in January 2014 they made me up to a manager.
    You are never to old to learn.

4. Presumably you were employed before you came into your own at 40? If so,you had probably learned how to get up in the morning,had discovered the link between work=money=Ducati/house/whatever ownership?
    You are never too old to learn,but if you don't know the basics,it will be harder...

5. I have always worked since the day I left school which shocked the fuck out of my truant officer as she actually said to my mum the day I left school that I was a lazy no good son of a bitch who would never work a day in his life, I signed up with man power the agency the day I left, my first temp job was on the bin carts I loved it but was only for a Month. They then put me into Duracell as a temp a year later Duracell bought me out of my contract with the agency and took me on as a permanent employee, got made redundant 8yrs later got a job doing extrusion plastics. Then my 10yr old came to live with me had to take 2yrs out of work to be a single parent, went back and signed on to an agency and they got me an office job in the gas industry. Been stuck there ever since but I actually enjoy my job.
    Point is if someone wants to work they will find a job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oddly enough, ever since I was a wee kid I'd always wanted to be a crane driver. Is it too late for me at 49?

7. I had you down more of a bouncer for mothercare

8. My niece started uni this autumn. She's studying English and history. The accommodation alone is costing her £600 a month, all on student debt of course. I do hope its going to be worth it for her.

9. Gimlet I don't want to appear antagonistic or anything, what does she want to do profession wise and will those degrees help her?

I got two nob heads sit opposite me at work, both went Uni and got degree's one was in theology or something like that, well one day it got the better of me and I asked why he did it.
    The answer I got back was "Well I didn't know what I wanted to do and didn't want to take on just any shit job so I went uni instead, it beated going to work" Wanker springs to mind

10. I did it later in life, study that is, I spent 22 years in the army (Reme) after spending 2 years at junior soldiers college. I am in my last year of a Bsc Eng management degree after overloading myself for the last 4 years doing a HNC, HND, Nebosh diploma at the same time... I'm 43 now but it has helped massively to establish myself in a new career in Oil and Gas. So it's never too late to look at it..

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Your degree's are in something that is of use though, so many kids go and do pointless degree's coz it's easier than getting a job, it's such a shame.

12. Are you not 50 yet :Wideyed:

13. Think he has taken a woman's stance and lied about his age!!

14. That's cheap. I used to charge students £850 a month to rent my places, that was in the early / mid 90s

15. Is is it acceptable to be a latin speaking (well reading), masters degree educated, self made (left home at 16 with no support...not my choice), financially independent, hard working, non money shuffling (apart from my own).
    I take nothing from the state (no children) or benefits... AND English?
    I do a manual job (now) and I'm pretty sure I'm not unique on this site.

#175 AirCon, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  16. I think you are a capitalist pig and think you should share your wealth amongst the masses mainly ME though!!

17. Er ... er ...

18. If you saw my tax return each January, you'd see that I do more than my FAIR share of looking after those who rely on the state.
    I'm one of those unfortunates trapped in the middle who can't afford a complex trust fund, but instead watch a lifetimes work eroded by poor savings and investment rates, while others benefit from super low interest rates.

19. Whats up Pete?

Oh and to add to my previous post from the age of 18-30 I was diagnosed as a functioning alcoholic.

20. You should do BIM

Do Not Sell My Personal Information