1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Insurance Quotes

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Ravenscry, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Car

2. Yeah its a new toy but its what i work silly shifts for to treat myself lol

3. I seem to remember similar silliness when the 1199 was first released. The problem was the price which was above many insurance companies maximum bike value limit. Also the companies that would insure them didn't know how to gauge them, hence silly quotes. It will settle down in time but unfortunately that doesn't help those who've signed on the dotted line and will be the first to receive them.

4. A quick update. It is Groundhog Day at Carole Nash. They have to go to their underwriting desk to get a special quote as the bike does not yet exist on their systems. They promise to ring back. They don't. 5 calls so far or 2.5 hours of my life wasted.

BeMoto just rang back with £1,553 for the V4S and my stock 2017 S1000R on the same policy. Plus I have to fit a tracker for £200, plus I have to pay for it to be switched on for a year at £99. So about £1,850 - 10 x what I pay for the S1000R! And the excess is £850.

I like to think of myself as a reasonably low risk - 54, no convictions, quiet area, no commuting, low annual mileage. That premium is eye watering.

My car is worth a lot more, has a similar top speed and is about £500 to insure fully comp.

This is something of a risk for Ducati, as I'm sure a load of people like myself who are fortunate enough to be able to afford a V4, may actually not be able to insure one if they have a conviction or their post code comes up 'wrong'.

I've had pretty much every litre sports bike since 1996, and I've never been in the situation where having paid the deposit I'm not quite sure whether I'll be able to insure it.

Big M is right in that this is likely lack of information causing the insurers to avoid risk (!) by going high, but even so its bloody steep.

5. Have you tried Ducati Insurance? I insure my D16 with them (valued at £40k). I contacted Bemoto when renewal,came up last week and due to the value of the D16 they couldn’t match/beat DI quote. They tried for the best part of a week but came up empty

6. I've been trying to get a quote too but as the bike (v4s) isn't on the insurance database everything is being referred to the underwriter. Got a quote from Bemoto for £1.1k SDP or £1.3k with commuting. Nick at BeMoto was very helpful and probably would try them again but Ducati Insurance (who my 899 is insured with) came back with £650.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I got a quote today from Ducati Insurance for a V4S, £583. 45yrs old, 9+yrs no claims, living in Cheshire. Needs a Biketrac fitted, which is around £300 with an additional £10 subscription. Slightly more than the £114 I pay at the moment for my 1098S!!

8. Ah yes a tracker is required, they (and bemoto) said when the value of the bike is £20k+ then they require a tracker. Riders were quoting £399 for a Bike Trac.

9. That £399 is supply and fit but does not include your subscription. Andy

10. And welcome Dave. Introduce yourself in the newbies section too eh.....

11. I’ve always found Ducati insurance very expensive for me

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Did you ring them or fill out the online form? When I applied on line it was ridiculous but when I rang them their questioning was more in depth and they actually in the end came out the cheapest by a long way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Called them, granted not on the v4 but 899 & 1299 I found them miles more expensive than Bennett’s

14. Further update. Carole Nash did not ring back. And if they can’t be bothered neither can I.

Ducati just quoted me £1098 (spooky) for the two bikes. Excess only £350 but will need a Biketrac. Still miles away from some other quotes out there, so I shall continue hunting.

What amazes is the vast disparity in some of these quotes. Maybe I live in a dodgy area and don’t know it!

15. Its a bit worrying as I'm down for the base model. my 1299 insurance is now cheap at 260 quid.
    I don't mind spending more on insurance as its a new model but how do they get the prices. Actually how many have been stolen in the uk as of today haha ?? .Is it really more nickable than the 1299 ? , is it really more crashable than the 1299 ? and are the parts really more expensive , the answer is No.

• Like Like x 1
  16. its a Rich mans game,,:motorcycleduc: the insurance companies can smell the money!

17. t

18. Hi All
    I had the same trouble when trying to insure my 1299s last April. For the main stream bike insurers Carol Nash etc.. it's down to the value of the bike. Anything above £18k and they cant insure. Remember the likes of Carol Nash are not the actual insurers. So the insurer/s who back them stipulate the max value. They wont tell you that. Get a tracker fitted and advise of all the security measures you have in place. Ducati Insurance and by the looks of things Be Moto look the best bets. Interestingly Ducati Insurance and Be Moto use the same insurer ERS who seem to be the only insurer who will insurer high value bikes. Have to say having checked BE Moto out they seems to be spot on. Will be trying them when my insurance comes up for renewal. Remember also you get what you pay for. When insuring your high value bike don't get tight on the cost of the insurance. Cheap insurance is cheap for a reason. Don't have a claim then find that out.

19. Agreed, if the bike gets stolen the owner expects a 20+k bike to be replaced by the insurance company, what exactly is expected premium wise? I would fully expect the latest top bollox Ducati sportsbike to cost a fair whack to insure, if I was in a position to buy one I would expect to have to pay a lot to insure it, although to be fair even at 1k it doesn't sound unreasonable....cake and eat it springs to mind....bikes are easy to nick and smash, basically high risk we all know that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. i might pull out of buying and wait a year when the second hand cost is 15k, that way its gonna be the same cost as my 1299 near enough.Id rather loose 250 quid deposit than pay in the high hundreds in insurance for a bike which really has no better performance for mortals on the road.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information