V4 V4s Build - From Start To Finish

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Topolino, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Be good to see it in the flesh if your ever out on it Southwold way:upyeah:

2. IMHO, sound wise the 4Uscite system sounds much boomier, deeper and more knarly, much like the 999R, and for me personally trumps all the others in this respect. However whilst the the Akra system looks the most elegant (aside from the fugly asymmetric cans) it does still sound a little too muted for my liking (even without the baffles in). The D200 sits somewhere in the middle, aurally. Visually I really like it and with the black gun barrel silencers on it's mildy offensive. Maybe lacks the richness of your system but I think it's a close second. If all else fails. I will keep the Akra system in a box, if I ever have a change of heart. Right now I'm just focused on riding the bike, when I get it back some time next week. I may well wait until the Winter to fit the Termis, as I've a lot of time to make up and I need to get some miles under it's belt before WDW2024.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I hope to be, at some point over the summer. More likely Old Buckenham on a Tuesday night though. All well and good, I'll be at the Season Opener at SeaStar on the 20th April, so perhaps see you there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’m still not totally sold on the looks of the Uscite. Some people hate it!! I do like the sound though. And I liked the nifty over the air upmaps. Looks wise the wheelbarrow system wins hands down imo. But I can’t justify the price tag. After all, mines a track whore. :imp::D

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Well following a thorough inspection (given I built this bike myself from the engine up) the dealer informs that they only found two very minor issues (an air lock in the cooling system, that was causing a slightly elevated running temperature) and the rear brake lever being out of adjustment. Other than that it's being MOT'd on Tuesday after the Easter break, then all the software updates will be done, before it then heads off to the next pampour parlour for the PPF film and Ceramic coating to be done.

All well and good, it wil be back in my garage a week today. Hoping for some decent weather next weekend, so I can wobble about on it and dust off some of my own cobwebs, that will inevitably have gathered over such an extended break from riding. I'll try and take some pics of it under natural light, which will be a first, after it's long incarceration. Now to see if I can still fit into my leathers...o_O

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. PPF and ceramic coating? I didn’t know both were an option, thought it was one or the other.
    I had my bike PPF’d. It recently went through the gravel at a rate of knots and I was impressed by the level of protection. Obviously it only goes so far and will need reapplying but it’s certainly left a few panels salvageable that wouldn’t have been without the PPF. It’s tougher than you think.

I’ve had my car done too. No more nasty chips on the leading edges. And a quick wash and polish brings up the colour beautifully :):upyeah:

And yeah, the old leathers do tend to shrink a tad during the winter… :neutral:

Re air lock in water system. Having watched Mat Armstrong on YouTube, I liked the vacuum method when introducing coolant. Slick…

#506 Fairy Cringe, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  7. PPF on the bodywork, ceramic coating on the wheels and anywhere else they deem appropriate. Yet to try on my leathers. If all else fails, I have an armoured jacket and kevlar jeans in the meantime. Yes I have watched quite a few of Matt's videos. Air lock has already been sorted by the dealer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Akra sounds muted? that’s not what my neighbours say

9. :D

10. So some last minute changes to the bike are incoming. Mainly due to a need to dumb down some of the colour on the bike and compliment the magnesium colour of the swing arm. To that end I have decided against the Supersprox sprocket and CNC flange cover, in favour of a much more muted Sitta QC sprocket, hub and flange cover. Titanium 12 point nuts will replace the current offerings and a new and very unique carbon tail unit will be undergoing the "Topo" treatment, as the current one is just a bit, well bland and predictable, if I am honest. I am going to run the bike with the Akra system for the summer season, before it gets removed to make way for the Termignoni D200 system, which is definitely a Marmite option for many. I've got all the parts to hand, so the latter mods will be a Winter project, as I dont want to eat into any potential riding time in the warmer months and aim to maximise usage of the bike after so long staring at it in suspension from the road. I'll upload some content of the bike in the next 2-3 weeks once it's back from the detailers, who have started the paint correction and PPF film application. After that, having just taxed the bike for the first time in 51/2 years. I aim to get out on it as often as possible.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Good decision. The bikes that I have seen with the Supersprox stuff on remind me of other bikes fitted with e.g. purple engine bolt kits. Tacky. Blingy. No sophistication. Not your style at all!

12. Supersprox in themselves are a good product, lightweight central carrier but with a steel outer for longevity, but it's the one area of the bike I'm not happy with, so it's got to go. I may well end up selling it and the CNC Racing cover, as they'd look far more at home on a V4 with a black swing arm and/or a darker colour scheme.

13. I was born in Southwold.
    Still go there every month for a wander up the prom if the weather isnt too bad then a coffee and bacon roll at the Gun Hill kiosk.

• Like Like x 1
  14. So the bike is back from Auto Curators after some paint correction, detailing, PPF film and ceramic coating. Prior to that it was given a clean bill of health at Moto Rapido, had it's first service and MOT done, and all the outstanding recalls, as well as some other mods. I'm hoping to take it out for it's first ride this weekend. It's been a loooooong time coming.

motorapido.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  15. First ride on Saturday and......Holy crap.....this thing is absolutely bonkers. I left it in 'street' mode, as I don't mind admitting I am a little rusty after over 5 years absence on two wheels. The bike still needs some adjustments, notably to the front end, as turning and leaning into a corner, the bike appears resistant to drop in. Not sure what could be causing this, but if feels less than compliant and doesn't inspire me with confidence. Not sure if it's the steering damper setting (since changes of direction are not compromised), it just feels heavy to initiate entry to a corner almost as if the bike is doing it in steps rather than a smooth progressive change from vertical to a lean angle. Tyre pressures are spot on. Any ideas as to what to check?

16. I'm sure others will be better qualified to give advice but - and please don't take this the wrong way! - maybe get a few more miles under your belt before "tweaking" the bike? I doubt I've put double-figure miles on my old 851 SP3 in the last two years, and I'll admit to being a bit apprehensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I certainly plan to but even when I was more aggressive, it still felt reluctant on entry to a corner, specifically as you try to lean into the turn. Either I'm very out of practice (totally probable!!) or my senses are telling me otherwise.

18. How many rings showing at the front forks?
    Are you sure the rear shock length is same as before all of your work? (i.e. is the rear ride height correct?)
    Pre-load front and back reasonable?
    What mode are you using for the suspension?
    Are the headstock bearings too tight?
    Is the steering damper working properly?

Nothing much really to check!

19. Tyre profile? Different tyres feel hugely different when tipping in… if everything is still stock setting then give it time. Recalibrate. 5 years is a long time out the seat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sound advice as always FC

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information