1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Was It Really That Bad ?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by noobie, Nov 7, 2016.

1. if you ask anyone who dont know bikes is the later 999/749 ugly the answer is no, but most people look more at my 1199 than the 749, I personally prefer the late 999/749. What I do notice is the finish quality 749 is much better made than my 1199.

2. That's a very good point.

Each side fairing is held on with only 5 dzus clips, the fairings are that rigid. From the 1098 onwards there are far more because the plastics are so thin - to save weight. When 1098 main bearings fail, they replace them with 999 bearings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. My 999s rocks, so does my 1199, and my 749/999 track mongrel, nuff said.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I like the face lift ones but not sure the replica's were going to be that popular with either photo copier logos or Fila branding (Fila is such a chav brand IMHO). The best of the lot for me is the 749r/999r and the black 999s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. :) I've never thought of that before. It might as well be a Donnay or Everlast replica. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. And the double sided swing arm was at the insistence of Ducati Corse

7. My 999 was a brilliant bike far better than my 916 but saying that the 916 lives in the dining room the 999 is long gone
    If I could find a mint 999 would buy it without hesitation

8. How's your build coming along?
    Sorry for the thread jacking.

9. I still have those bust CF 999 belt covers if you still want them? If you mean Baines drop in on the way past and I'll give them too you :) .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. As I say, they are snapped! But please drop in for a cuppa on the way by :)

11. I am not even a year into my ownership of first ducati but I grew up watching Foggy in world supers and the 916 was my dream bike...after years of Jap bikes a work buddy started banging on about the 999 and how it was so much a better bike and better looking circa 07/08. At the time I thought he was mad but slowly I came around to 749/999. Fast forward a few years and I just adore my 749s. Artwork and Performance all in one....would still like a 916 though!!

• Like Like x 4
  12. I repair bikes for a living and have had everything from FS1ES to R1 and multiple bikes of every type . I have fixed bad Dukes and good Dukes but when I road test them I like them . I recently bought a 749 from a guy because it was cheap but in not bad nick, I love its handling and it does look good, much better than when they first came out strangely so they have sneaked into the sub-culture of "Ducati" folklore via the backdoor but I suspect they may become quite a bike to have as the 999 is mega . Still hasn't stopped me looking for a 1098 Tricolore though.

I may keep the 749 as well as it is brilliant as a bike to ride the repairs are few and far between but when you have to repair it is always a weird fault . But it's a Ducati and it's alive like a fiesty woman or guy depending on your outlook.

And it's biggest plus point is everyone wants a Ducati but will never admit it rattly clutch and all.

Either way it horses for courses I wouldn't have a Paso but folk love em .

No the 749/999 isn't that bad it's actually the start of the better made Ducati's .

• Like Like x 3
  13. better made? My 748 is a fantastically well designed and put together peice of kit! My 749 is vastly different and a great bike, a brilliant bike, but I prefer the simplicity of the 48 and think it may be the last of the better made dukes....

14. But you built it :Finger:

15. I always thought that the upturn in Ducati quality came when they were purchased by the Texas Pacific Group in 1996. Hence why the cleaner logo'd 9*6's and 748's aren't renowned for poor quality and reliability.

16. rebuilt it... Mofo. And if a dunce like me can do that its a good design!

17. Nope, he put it together properly :)

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  18. the 749 ( s ) is a briliant bike , for road use, it has looks to drool over( as every one who rides ones knows ) it has power to get you into trouble and handling to get you out of it,, it has the feel good and adrenalin feeling when you get home and park it up, wwhat more do you want..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information