1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Water Pump Replacement-easy Or Not?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by ibgarrow, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Thanks. I was looking on the rider’s *right* side, next to the …water pump! I’ll investigate tomorrow.

2. Yay. Pulled the LhS lower off, got a wet hand, and saw signs of coolant on the crankcase side below the nefarious aforementioned hole. Bugger.
    New pump to be ordered, and I’ll try to do the drain pipe upgrade at the same time. New drive wheels. Threebond too.
    Anything else that people with experience have found useful?

3. If you see any signs of the drive gears flaking then take off the sump pan for a good clean.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’d be interested to know how long this took *normal* people.

• Like Like x 1
  5. About 4-5 hours on the second one

6. Bl@@dy hell! I’m expecting 3 days!
    Mind that’s with meal and coffee breaks, old man breaks, P-breaks, sore back breaks, can’t get the damn thing off/on breaks.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. It was the second one :joy::joy::(

• Like Like x 1
  8. I hope that, once I’ve done this one, it’ll not need *another one*

• Like Like x 1
  9. Given your experience, how did you get access to the lower bolts behind the exhaust.... That seems to be the most difficult part of this process ...

10. I took the pipe off as you can't really get the cover on and off with it fitted. Seen to remember taking off the RH side footrest etc, obviously the fairing and the wiring location at the top of the fairing. It is pretty logical what you need off, especially if you are taking your time.

I posted this before but this is what I found in the second engine which was running quite happily. Engines get noisy with the steel gears..

20220324_101132.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  11. Thanks! That's some mashed plastic there!

I'm not sure what's best way to remove the pipe.. Option 1 is to go from the front by removing the front wheel, drain the cooling system to get radiator off... From their I think the front header is accessible...Or option 2 is from the back which means back wheel off, rear shock, cans off, probably sub frame from remove the upper part of the exhaust. (Annoyingly I fitted termis at the end of last year and probably should have done the clutch cover/ water pump at the same time....)

Wondered if you can remember how you got the pipe off?

12. Looking at images of the various gears, the R versions *may* be metal. But more expensive. And probably on a long order from Italy.

13. Methinks I shall wait until I disassemble things, then check the gears (if they’re metal) for wear before blowing hundreds on replacements.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Despite the cold (I’m old and feel it more than you) I spent some of the afternoon disassembling the gubbins on the RHS-all the electrical components. Took pictures so I can hopefully replace things in the same way.
    Tomorrow (if there’s time) will be getting the exhausts out of the way. We’ll see what the gears are like once the cover is off then.

15. I bet that the gears are ok, it’s just that seal at the back that fails.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I wonder if anyone has investigated replacing the seal?

17. New water pump arrived. Now just needs fitting!
    Next question: can anyone point me to a table showing the torque settings for the various bolts I’ve removed?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information