1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I missing (1098 v 848)?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by redsail, May 25, 2013.

1. I get that sentiment completely.

But back to the question of horsepower.......unless you're racing on a track, does it REALLY matter?

I've had some absolute hoots on machines that only have 60bhp. It's good to have power (as long as you can use it or know how to use it) but its not essential to have a blast on a bike. Trust me, it's not. :smile:

2. Dyno mapped modern IL4s will put out similar or better rwhp numbers as a similarly mapped 1098R/1198. But they won't put out the same torque. Add in the lower rev limits of the V-twin, and the Dukes simply punch much harder per engine revolution (and wheel rotation) than an IL4, S1000RR included. Stick on the 14T and quick action throttle to maximise the twist at the rear wheel for every mm of the throttle turned...

3. Nothing like fighting with a bike that is trying to spit you off. Saying that my R1 has a throttle position indicator and it rarely shows more than 50% open (dry stone walls have that affect), and a crossplane R1 only has about 155 bhp.

4. You will be surprised at the BHP figs on here i guarantee.

BikeBoy.org

5. And here is my 999/1098 with Nemesis and 54 mil termig system - the motor has been fettled, printed, cam timing etc etc

Aprox 150 bhp and circa 82ftlbs of torque - the nemesis has two maps installed and i'm guessing this is the dry one - done on JHP dyno some years ago.
    The fuelling is perfect, so smooth and complient, she really is well behaved.
    1368910628383.jpg

1368910628383.jpg

#45 Quarrybends, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. iv a friend runs a dyno and said if you honestly told people what there bikes put out they would never come back.
    toro if you got all your mates on your fave road on c90's I bet youd have a hell of a day..no piss take but it would be some craic.

7. I agree, completely

8. ^^^^ This. It took me a year to get the measure of my 1098 after coming from a 749. The two were chalk and cheese. Then I wanted more so dropped a tooth and firk me, it pulls like a train and requires the bike to be upright and settled before hitting the throttle stop.

9. Currently 14 - 38, only running a 38 as i've only got 38 and 40 sprockets for the dymags (520 kit) bike was previously running 14 - 39 but it was being used on short circuits.

10. Probably around 25hp less than the quoted figures...

11. I have two Hayabusa's, they are very good at taking your breath away.

They seem to take the piss out of you by constantly prodding at you saying "is that all you can give me".

Always way, way too much in reserve, you run out of road very quickly.

12. I was out yesterday on my 999 running few basic mods and power commander. to be honest about 130 at the rear wheel
    and I changed the gearing to a (from memory ) 16 40.
    It is great now. very responsive and tops out at 160 - plenty fast enough for road use and amazing/useable on country lanes

13. if it is truly 16 40 then that is not really that different to the std in final ratio terms..........you would be better 15 40 or 14 38

i suspect you mean 15 40

14. Quick, but ugly. :tongue: I will never understand the aesthetics of that bike I'm afraid.

15. from memory lol
    im on the stock front with 40 rear with 190 55

have done all my calculations with gearcommander so although I cant remember the front sprocket without lokking I know it was geared for 160 top. and I get that whoohoo

16. It's mostlyl to do with top speed aerodynamics isn't it?

17. It can't run from itself :biggrin:

18. I just looking into the design history of it and aparently it was designed to be memorably ugly. Congratualtions, they succeded.

19. heh, yeah I was thinking at least people won't have much time to notice if it was you on it. :upyeah:

20. When people say "you wont use the horsepower anyway", what do they mean? I use mine! If I wasn't going to I would not have purchased the bike and got a saver seven bus ticket instead. :smile:
    As for lower horsepower bikes being as, if not more, enjoyable, hell yes! My mates and I had four kawaski KR1S's between us and we had a hoot riding them!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information