1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I missing (1098 v 848)?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by redsail, May 25, 2013.

1. I think the point is you use a lot less of the horsepower than you realise. Some years back BIKE mag did a road test measuring how much bhp a rider used of a Suzuki GSXR600 and it was actually very little. IIRC it was as low as 25% on average and rarely above 50%.

But its each to their own. If having 180bhp is what someone wants then its their money and their decision to make.

2. Top end horsepower only makes a significant difference on track. It is the midrange that makes a big difference on road. And a motor that makes more at the top, will generally make more at any given point in the rev range than a smaller capacity motor. This effect is multiplied by re-gearing which pays real benefits on road - a smaller front sprocket is the cheapest real-world performance upgrade for any Ducati superbike used on the road.

3. I fitted a 14T front on my 848's and found it worked well.
    Did the same on the 1098 and really didn't like it. Made the bike way too frisky and too busy at cruising speeds.
    Just what I found of course...:smile:

4. +1

Thats what I wanted to know and suspected.

so to get a bit more from the 848 I can drop a tooth on the front sprocket as you did Nelson. And when I get bored of THAT time for a 1098. :)

5. Havent ridden an 848 but have a 748s and have been very comfortable on it having had it for a good few years
    I now have an 1198s and tbh they are like night and day power wise
    I still love the 748 but the acid test is what do I get out when its sunny? The 1198
    The power is addictive and I like the fact that its got more than I need or can use - its a constant challenge and very exciting to ride
    The torque is absolutely immense
    Not saying I am Rossi or anything but I amuch more 'on top' of the 748 and as a result its less exciting

• Like Like x 1
  6. There is a reasonably big difference between the models in terms of their outputs - even through the midrange, not just top end numbers. And you don't need to be going hard on track - the difference is quite noticeable on the road.

These numbers are taken from a couple of dyno runs by the same dyno company on different days. Results should be taken with a pinch of salt, but the differences are significant enough to give an indication of the magnitude of difference at any given rpm. The results are of remapped bikes with Termis (I believe the 1098R had a full system).

rwhp
    [​IMG]

torque
    [​IMG]

combined
    [​IMG]

#66 Spareparts, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  7. I am surprised at the big difference between the 1098 and the 1098 r

I am running a full system and remapped ecu on an 1198 so I guess its like for like

• Like Like x 1
  8. just pi$$ing myself laughing at that 1098r dyno.

its so powerful its funny

9. It certainly looks like the dyno is reading a touch high (like most dynos), and/or that R had a particularly strong engine.

10. The numbers are just numbers though - what's surprising to me is the gap between the bog stock and the R - also it does confirm to me what I have found on the road and that is that it pulls like a train all the way through the range after a little bit of a lumpy beginning at very very low revs

• Like Like x 1
  11. Personally I think a mapped 1198 delivers its power right on the limit of what is acceptable for a road bike: it's brutal in the way it thumps out the twist, and the bike requires significant self control to ride it smoothly. The only way to make it more usable is to soften/detune it through the midrange - a la Panigale.

You don't have that issue with either the standard 1098 or 848: you can ride either of them like any other litre class bike. It's not a surprise that many think the 848 is a better 'balanced' bike. 100rwhp is a great number for a road bike that can be ridden hard. Personally I love the adrenaline hit of the 1198 motor.

12. There's only one way to solve this, buy an 848 and a 1098 :) wouldn't that be nice

13. now if there had been a mobile dyno available at the Ducati track day...........that would of been interesting back to back stuff....

14. Did someone say DYNO shoot out?

• Like Like x 1
  15. It was probably Fast Bikes magazine :wink:

16. 848 is probably brilliant 95% of the time but on the rare ocassion you get the road you need then there is nothing and I mean nothing like the 1098. Everything works and you and it are one. heaven man heaven. You are right the 848 is as much as you need but once you have had more you will always want it.

Regards Steve

17. I'll be T -Rex ;)

18. Had a cbr1000rr, with as much power albeit less torq than a 1098, and the 848 is more fun and just as fast when on it on the road. When I rode them back to back I missed the power rush a little but the speedo doenst lie the way the senses sometimes do..

19. Aye - and you'd know which was preferred as one would be covered in dust the other in flies ;)

20. Interesting result. Though according to the 848 manual the speedo lies by 8% :eek:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information