1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I missing (1098 v 848)?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by redsail, May 25, 2013.

1. All bikes do. No surprise there surely??

2. I knew most bikes spedos were off, but Ducati seem to be very specific by how much. Is it always 8% for all bikes. If so why?

3. Probably to cover their arses if you tried to sue them. I.e you get done for a serious traffic offense, then try to sue them claiming it was because the speedo was out. They can then counter by saying that it is advised in he manual that it can be out by 8%. Probably more than likely for the 'sue everyone' American market.

4. i had this 'problem' a few years ago when i owned a scooby..chavvy i know, but what a piece of engineering...its started out around 280hp and ended up with 350 when i got rid..(and actually turned in slightly less appalling mpg to boot)...i got used to the power very quickly and didnt really appreciate it until i drove the ex's astra for a fortnight..when i got back in the scoob it felt like a wild buffalo....for a few days..

what you want is mid range grunt..who cares about top speed? not me.. i want handling, torque, accelaration, panache and above all dynamics...you know, noise, feel all that stuff....if she hits 150 isnt that more than enough under controlled test conditions?

5. I think that sums it up yes, top speed is irrelevent to me, I'll never see the 848's top speed and have no inclination to either.

But its amazing how you get used to things that initially feel so extreme, like the 848 did when I got on it first. I couldn't get it past 2nd gear on the first ride, I was so awed by it. I know that's just the nature of how we experience things but I would love to have that feeling all the time. I guess that's how people start doing things like base jumping!

I've got a 3.2 Mk1 TT, and that now feels like the volume's been turned down after riding the 848. God I love that acceleration!

#85 redsail, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  6. Redsail, you need an 1198 :upyeah:

7. Oh no... I have just started searching for 1098/1198 on ebay. This can't be good!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Resistance is futile. You always want the lesser bike or do you want the daddy? :wink:

9. When I started riding I said I was not going to buy a crotch rocket. Now look at me :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Just learn to ride what you have around corners - that's where the the truth is...:upyeah:

Word...:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Agree Nelson but one thing that has surprised me about the 1198s is its handling in the twisties (my tt route is Guiseley to Hawes then Leyburn back through Masham etc)- much much better than the 748s in every way - very nimble, more compliant, much more feel and rock solid once in a bend ...

12. I think in its own right a 848 is a awesome bike....... But if I did get one I woulda always thought I wish I had a 1098.

In reality using wot on a 1098 on a road doesn't happen that often, but I like the fact power is always there and it's less wear on the engine cause I'm not/can't go flat out everywhere on it

13. 2nd gear? LOL you may want to reconsider your riding style sir :redface:

14. I was in my local dealer yesterday ( M&S Newcastle ) and they had a nice 1198 in on an 09 plate with only 3000 miles for £8500 seemed cheap to me.

15. have they still got the 1098r in
    I was pondering that...

edit...
    that 1198 must be new in as its not on their site.
    was it the 'S'

#95 Phill, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  16. This was the first time ever on a sports bike. I can get it into 3rd now :tongue:

17. Yes they still have the 1098R in, £13495 I think. They also had a Panigale S in with lots of extras for £18500 I think.

That 1198 looked nice though, it had gold wheels and a dark frame I know that, whether that is the S I am not sure. Some xtras as well, sliders etc. Someone I spoke to on Sunday at Rothbury was offered it for £8k

18. That R seems cheap.

19. Was that the Captain Kirk mileage one?

20. So what are you asking? Is the 1098 faster in a straight line and need less effort to cruise past cars? 4 pages to answer what is an obvious yes :rolleyes:

and according to the gps I have had fitted at 165 on the clocks its showing 161 so not too far out...altho my ST2 would show 100 and was 112! Go figure :wink:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information