1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The Royal Maharaja, Jan 15, 2023.

Tags:
  1. I know, you have sooo much in common. I’m sure there must Scottish blood running through your veins. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  2. There's no way of adding a lol icon for Zhed's dislike...so I'll add it here..:joy:

#102 The Royal Maharaja, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Someone must have hacked my phone as that wasn’t me! Or at least I don’t remember doing it….:sob:

I’ve undone the rating and changed it to a “like”.

AFAIK, although I have some Welsh and Irish ancestry, I have no Scottish ancestors. However, I do have a saltire on the numberplate of my motorhome which was there when I bought it and which I’ve left in situ as I love wild camping in the Highlands and I reckon it probably helps deter complaints from locals and harassment from McPlod. That’s kind of like honorary citizenship isn’t it @finm ?

#103 Zhed46, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  4. I didn’t see the dislike. I hope you took it as the massive compliment it was meant to be. Once we get our own passports sorted out I’d be happy to sponsor you.

• Love You Love You x 1
  5. Not too many books can make you laugh out loud but some of Tom Sharpe's probably can.

Not at all PC but 'The Throwback' and 'Porterhouse Blue' I remember were brilliant, and 'Riotous Assembly' and 'Indecent Exposure' based on his time in South Africa, are equally funny.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. upload_2024-2-23_22-12-5.jpeg

Another very funny book. However, it is brutally graphic and incredibly, but hilariously offensive.

Imagine a darkly comic version of American Psycho where the main character is an A&R man in a British record company during the 90s, and he’s a racist, sexist, in fact you-name-it-ist misanthrope sociopathic sex and drug addict, but he is also very very funny indeed.

There was a film made of it a few years ago starring Nicholas Holt, but while it’s pretty good, it’s not a patch on the novel which is brilliant, so I wouldn’t recommend you watch it in lieu of reading the book.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Filth, Irvine Welsh
    Scheming Bruce Robertson a bigoted and corrupt policeman, is in line for a promotion and will stop at nothing to get what he wants. Enlisted to solve a brutal murder and threatened by the aspirations of his colleagues, Bruce sets about ensuring their ruin, right under the nose of unwitting Chief Inspector Toal. As he turns his colleagues against one another by stealing their wives and exposing their secrets, Bruce starts to lose himself in a web of deceit that he can no longer control. His past is slowly catching up with him, and a missing wife, a crippling drug habit and suspicious colleagues start to take their toll on his sanity.
    A particularly nasty read that made me feel physically ill

8. I’ve read all his stuff. Kill Your Friends was what got me started.

His latest, O Brother, is his best work yet. It’s beautifully written.

He about 4 or 5 years older than me, but this book is basically his biography and it’s remarkable.

edit: just checked, he’s a year older than me!

#108 gc6269, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  9. IMG_4665.jpeg
    Just had this delivered, will start it on my train journey to Cardiff tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. @Carr01

I wonder why you can't get that one on Amazon?

Edit

Yes you can.

11. Out of print ? I got it from World of Books as pre loved.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Half way through:
    IMG_1789.jpeg
    Next in line:
    IMG_1788.jpeg

13. Thanks for this. Interesting that he wrote this (his only) book while working in the Lister factory in Dursley, Gloucestershire.
    +1 for World of Books.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. I had the pleasure of being a neighbour to one of the Lister family for a number of years, looking at their family history made me stumble upon this book.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BBC Sounds has an excellent 13 part podcast/investigation called, ‘The Hurricane Tapes’

• Like Like x 2
  16. I’ve recently binge listened my way through Annie Jacobsen’s (audio)books about various aspects of the American secret state.

Highly recommended.

IMG_6704.jpeg IMG_6703.jpeg IMG_6708.jpeg IMG_6707.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Not sure if this counts... pretty much read all of it bar the Style supplement - I think I've gone beyond any help there...

times.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information