1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 What Helmet? It's Doing My Head In (pardon The Pun)

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by jcmental, Sep 22, 2015.

1. I'm very pleased with my Arai Quantum ST. Loads of ventilation if you need it, easy visor changes and quiet. Quieter than the top of the range RX7 GP which as a racing helmet doesn't need to be worn for long periods. The ST is the top of the range touring helmet Arai make and worth every penny IMHO.

2. Shoei GT Air for me

Comfy, light, quite, lots of ventilation,pinlock,internal visor

Works for me

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wow you guys certainly take helmets seriously, there's plenty there for me to chew on Thanks, I will google them and see which ones I think I like the look of then I'll be off on a jolly to try a few on.

Cheers guys.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just asking, but are flip up's as good in a bump as a solid one piece helmet ?

5. Another vote for the Shoei GT Air (and I have an Arai shaped head). Best helmet I've had and can't fault it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have had Caberg but wont again. Decent value helmet but for longer trips spend more dollar. HJC full face = underrated, quiet but not a flip helmet so changed for touring. Shoei Neotec was excellent but didn't offer the flip down sun visor when I changed it (for that reason). Current is Schuberth C3 Pro. Excellent helmet, quiet and all day comfy but like someone said, leave the visor up in a shower and the rain gets onto the inside making riding difficult. Oh, and like someone else said it's not a good helmet for the old hair parting. Mine goes from my left ear to my right ear and I've spent months trying to comb that bugger out :Banghead:

7. You should look at the HJC flip-up if you already like their helmets. I'm well chuffed with mine.

8. The pillock really causes bother! :)

I have a few helmets but my go to is still always the xd4 despite the wind noise. I even bought a shoei hornet to give that a go but it's not a patch on the Arai in terms of quality.

I've currently got on the go an agv, icon airframe carbon ghost, shoei hornet, Arai xd4, Arai quantum, Arai rx7 and for all day comfort the xd4 is streets ahead of them all.

I'm in the market for a Schubert c3 pro though to see what that's like. Just a shame I stopped smoking before taking the plunge on a flip up!

9. I'm seeing positive comments for the Shoei Air - Step up from XR 1100? I need to order, as I have a non-standard size head XXL, I think. Mainly for touring.

10. Shark explore carbon for me. I got one from an Italian online shop for abou £180 down from an rrp of about 350 I think.. Not sure how it compares but it is loads quieter than my old ago agv seen in my avatar. It looks good without the peak too. I use mine with the visor and without the peak but the goggles are an amazing fit. No wind in the cheeks, and no steaming obviously.

#30 richgilb, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  11. Any one got one of these? I like the look of it, it just depends on if I can use the tinted visor with my specs on

shoei_gt_air_wanderer_tc_1.jpg

12. Get contacts. One thing I find is that internal visors just aren't dark enough. When the sun's low, it may as well be clear. Because they think they covered the need for a sun visor though, darker tints aren't easy to come by. I'm thinking about getting some tint wrap and making it darker myself.

13. Yep, I've used one for 3 years of touring and commuting and I'm about to retire it. I'd give the helmet a 7 out of 10.

[​IMG]

The inner visor is ok-ish, it is certainly more scratch resistant than the one in my C3 which marks if you breath on it. On the flipside it mists up really badly. In the end I ordered an iridium visor from Japan and ride with that 90% of the time.

Vents are good, stability is good and I was running it with a Sena intercom which fits well as there are speaker cups. Lining nowhere near as plush as other brands and the plastic pop stud fasteners aren't very strong. The visor mech is a bit too rigid.

Like most matt finishes, the paint marks easily.

Fit is snug, which I like. I take a small and the same in my other helmets - Schuberth C3, Arai Tour X3 and HJC RPHA 10+. The HJC Lorenzo is a recent purchase I got on a whim because it was cheap (was really after an AGV Corsa Rossi but couldn't justify the spend). It doesn't really replace the Shoei as it is more of a full on race lid.

#33 Jefferson D'Arcy, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

14. Just ordered one from J&L in Carlisle, exact same colours. Pick it up on Tuesday. Knocked £60 off the price as well. I'll let you know how I get on with it if you want.

Cheers!!

15. Mmm... some good info there tnx Mr Jefferson.

Yeah le me know how you get on with it Chris, I'm up J&L next month getting my long over due 15k miles service.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information