1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 What Touring Jacket / Trousers Combo?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rgvdave, Sep 7, 2015.

1. I've used Heine Gericke stuff for years. The 'Cruise' suit was excellent but when it finally went to the Master V jacket and trousers. The best thing about it is Goretex Pro Shell which basically means that the outer surface doesn't soak up water as much. This means faster drying times. I always hated that a Goretex liner might keep you dry but the fabric of the jacket remains sodden.
    Unfortunately the rest of the jacket falls short of previous Heine Gericke stuff. I've found it to be very draughty with terrible cold spots. Weak velcro meaning that cuffs undo etc. It also has one of these rubber Gore 'Lockout' zips which I'd recommend you stay well clear of. Utter pish.
    The Jacket is doing better now that I'm not on a sports bike but I'd still look elsewhere (not withstanding that it's hard to find a Heine Gericke shop these days).

2. Just checked, no model name on my HG jacket. It's Shelltex (no idea but never got wet), the zip at the front has a pop button cover flap so no leakage there. All zips, pop buttons and Velcro are as good as the day I got it (a few years ago). It's one of those jackets that, when it rains, it gives you that smug, invincible feeling. Impervious to all weather.

3. I really would like a jacket like that. Smug feeling of dryness. Never found one in my budget or size

4. I had my first ever credit card burning a hole in my pocket. It had just started to rain when I passed a bike shop. Oh dear, that escalated quickly. Even had to buy a bag to strap my dry weather gear to the pillion seat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. JH - the 'Cruise Suit' I had originally fro Gerick was just like that. I felt cocooned is a warm, dry comfortable space. I used it for commuting through a couple of winters (albeit with a heated waistcoat) and it was brilliant. The Master V suit is nowhere near as good although the Goretex pro shell stuff is great. I'd love some Rukka but there are only so many kidneys you can sell (one went on the Multistrada).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If you want to delve into the lower end of the market, if you can find them on eBay the Spada Macna produced jackets and trousers are good on a budget. I have them both, bought in 2009. At the time they were £200 jacket and £150 trousers but you can get a new jacket from Bikers World for £75. Trousers £65. They are 3 layer with liner etc. Not particularly breathable but waterproof. Sizes are a bit limited but worth a look. Search for MACNA on eBay and have a look. I still use mine and found the water repelance of the outer jacket was greatly improved using the spray on stuff from camping shops.
    I do fancy a goretex pro suit though, just feeling a bit tight at the most, and hate binning stuff that still works OK. I know there are much better makes and materials out there though, just depends what you want to spend.

I do spend a lot on a good crash helmet though. £50 head and all that...

7. Gore tex all the way, especially if you are riding in all weathers. Well worth the investment. But it will cost you for sure.
    Either pro-shell or laminated version - both don't suck up the water and are pretty much bone dry and shed the water off.

Only thing I had come close was the Aprilia suit I bought for a bargain price - IIRC it was Sympatex, again completely waterproof but it did hold the water like a sponge and would be wet still after a full day at work. Not exactly great putting on cold wet heavy jacket before getting out in the cold again.

8. Hi Phunky,

It's essentially the same bike as the 2015 model, but with colour coded luggage and all the issues sorted out.

Can happily report none of the 2015 issues reported to date are raising their ugly heads currently........well pleased!! :)

Steve

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Lol. You wait till your fuel sender unit fails!!

10. D dry is not Gortex. I have Galvestone d dry kit as well, it's ok but don't trust it for riding in prolonged rain as the trousers leak a bit. The d explorer kit is Gortex and doesn't leak.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. The fool that I am, I have just posted a similar thread on the general forum, without looking.

Is Rukka worth the money? As long as the wife doesn't see the receipt I could probably stretch to it this time. But I need to feel I am getting value for money even if it costs a lot. If you understand me!

12. #52 GunZenBomZ, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Never had any rst so can't comment. My alpinestars goretex new land stuff saw me through a couple of winters and is going strong. Looks ugly and is expensive though.

14. .......another vote for Dainese from me, both Goretex jacket/trousers over the past four years taking all sorts of abuse and survived.

15. Actually managed to get some Arma-S trousers today (phone purchase) from bikestop from Rukka rep. Again top marks for a company who didn't have to go out of their way but fulfilled my desire to have touring/working trousers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I managed to get a Rukka Armaxis jacket & trousers for a few coppers under £1200 from Moto-Legends with a 10% price beat versus Sports Bike Shop. Fantastic service too!
    They actually tried to convince me I didn't "need" Rukka because although I ride almost every day my commute is only about 1/2 hour each way. Previously I had Halvarssons which after 4 1/2 years was fading on the shoulders, a few closures were failing and the waterproof liner was starting to detach from the shell. I figured that although a replacement Halvarssons suit would be half the price if I have to buy another in 4 or 5 years I wouldn't have saved anything compared to the Rukka that has a 6 year guarantee.

I went thinking I'd go for the Navigator suit but up close and personal wasn't so keen on the rufty tufty adventure styling. Also tried the Arma-S but didn't like the rubber zip that felt stiff and pushed into my neck.

It's a lot of dosh but I'm worth it!

• Like Like x 1
  17. If Rukka had added the YKK-vislon zip from the amaxis too navigator jacket I'd have gone with that. But as the navigator zip is not waterproof I had to go with the armaxis. The navigator trousers I decided on have two waterproof leg pockets I can pop my wallet/keys into when touring/away from my jacket.

Also with the uk withdrawing arma-s gear from stores (another jacket that needs a YKK-fastener) I didn't think they'd want to supply a pair of those trousers. My reason for grabbing a pair is when parking my motorbike at one work-place without CCTV coverage. I kneel down on concrete for setting chain&padlock. So with the arma-s having superfabic (a strong resin material) knee patches, damage isn't shown up much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I've seen it called Rukka Realer, doesn't look like top-line imho

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I was looking at Rukka Armaxis but in the end of the day I bought the
    Dainese D-Cyclone as it was much cheaper. It is an amazing jacket and highly recommended

Do Not Sell My Personal Information