1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the worst thing you've ever bought for your bike?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by MrAliT, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Amazing.

Pictures required!

Worst thing I ever bought.... Diesel.

#61 luckymarine, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. I turned up to collect my nice shiny new Multistrada, put my leather jacket on then went to put on my crash helmet and realised I'd thrown my wifes crash helmet in the boot of the car instead of my own so had an extra £300 purchase to make on top of the price of the bike.

Probably not the worst purchase I've ever made but certainly the one I least wanted to make.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I bought some titanium clutch spring retainers and bolts as i thought they'd make me go a million miles per hour. They didn't:frown:
    In fact, the bolts were too long and retainers too deep so the rusty standard ones went back in.
    Beer must have made EBAY a fortune over the years but i still love it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. a 2003 57 termi ( should have been 2005)
    an RS front mudguard ( didn't fit)
    999 magnesium cylinder covers ( they just fit the 998)

a non complete flat set of 2005 57MM termi pipes... not complete and not completable..

..... need to go on?

5. Didnt happen without pictures ;)

6. I bought an Akrapovic race exhaust for my GSXR1000 K2 bought new, and it sounded like an F1 soundtrack... I was so worried about the noise, I could hardly open the throttle... Took them off a few weeks later.

7. OK, I admit it but it was VERY early on a Sunday morning.:redface:

8. Evoluzione Tail Tidy for my 999.

They look wonderful compared to the awful standard mounting, they are a doddle to fit and to, remove for track days ... and they are utterly useless. I've lost two reg plates to these little useless buggers ... but how I wish they worked properly. :frown:

9. Bike alarm and immobiliser on a special edition Yamaha R6 - the bike was stolen after just 2 weeks never to be seen or heard of again. Double whammy as lost my no claims bonus and my insurance went up. The theft was caught on cctv. Time taken was just 20 seconds. 3 people involved; a driver of the van and two people who jumped out and lifted my bike over concrete bollards into the van. Police not interested: "the van will probably be stolen as well......."

10. A pair of Diablo Rossos, what a useless pair of tyres they turned out to be

11. Explain please

12. eh?

13. I bought them for my 748 when they were just released and supposed to be the next best thing, until then I was a Pirelli fan for many years. Front effectively worn out at 1500 miles but I stayed with them until both were worn out at 2500 miles and two big front end slides on a fast but dry roundabout on successive October days sealed their fate. Wet performance was shocking, dry performance on cold days as just as bad. I know a lot of tyre performance is to do with confidence but the wear rate and cold performance was simply the worst I've ever experienced on any vehicle in 30 years of driving. It was no surprise Pirelli changed them so quickly

#73 Denzil the Ducati, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  14. A clear Ducati tank protector for 848. Could get the bubbles out, and it never looked right! My fault, didn't fit it right I guess.

15. Someone must have bought some powerbronze tat

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stompgrip - recent purchase that people recommend that turns out to be expensive and completely useless.

But the worst had to be the heated waistcoat I bought from a reputable company about two years ago. Sick of being bloody cold all winter, I thought I would get one of these, and carefully wired the loom connecter up from the battery to the seat, and had the nice little seat connector right there on the back of the 848.......

Put on one underlayer, the thermal waistcoat and a decent leather jacket - and set off. Got nice and snug quite quickly and was quite pleased as it warmed up (was on level 5 out of 10 to just take the chill off). Then I hit a contraflow section on the A3 southbound I was on, so was "stuck" in the lane without run-off......

And the jacket just got hotter, and hotter and hotter. I was dying in there - it was really hurting. I was frantically pulling at wires to disconnect the thing, and trying to ride one handed along a busy contraflow, by now swearing like a trooper inside my lid. It was really burning!

Managed to pull the wire out eventually, and the thing cooled down. Not sure if it was just me being a little sensitive - I pulled into the next services to take a look and calm down when I got out of the contraflow.

I had burn marks, making a perfect snake pattern all the way up both my front and back, from lower back to shoulders front and rear! I took a few iphone pics in the bathroom as I couldn't believe it.

Needless to say they refunded the cost quite quickly. And were very accommodating thereafter at that shop!

• Like Like x 2
  17. I hate to say this, as I will buy them again if I ever got a Ducati superbike again...

Pazzo levers... Bought them for both the 1098S and the 748S... I REALLY like them. But being such a up tight twat, I had to have the originals, not Chinese knock offs. And for the price, they really are not worth it haha.

So yea, liked them, but it's throwing money away on something that isn't really going to change your biking experience.

18. This is a first. "completely useless"? Would be interested to hear how you were using them!

19. I agree, stormgrips on my 1098S were pretty handy...

20. They aren't where I need them to be positioned to help with gripping the tank when braking - and I don't need it where it is for hanging off the bike. And they cost 40 quid a go!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information