1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V2 Worth The Wait??

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Expat Jack, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Yup. Too early to tell and been running in as well.
    Screen background goes black at night so no dazzle. I think you can manually adjust but I just leave on auto.
    The electrics are the major difference between the two bikes. I think that would be noticeable on track when pushing on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I would be amazed if thee is any true comparable difference. Power isn’t really much different, if at all.

The 1299 however…. Whooooshh

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. i really need to try a 1299 to feel the difference - the numbers say the 0-60 and 0-100 figures aren’t that different and supposedly give the 959 a very slightly quicker 0-60 - which I assume is down to gearing.

Once over 100 though the figures differ massively.

The fastest I have ever ridden on a bike was on a Honda Blackbird - obviously a completely different animal to the 1299 but the thing that defines it in my memory is the relentless nature of the acceleration even in high gears over 100mph - it just kept pulling.

Comparing the specs and figures to modern sports bikes like the 1299 and you can see how much faster the 1299 is - taking one all the way through the gears up to the top speed must be breathtaking.

4. I thought my (tweaked) 1098R would take some beating but my Panigale V4S (full Akrapovic) eclipsed it :astonished: Andy

5. i just looked at the figures for the V4 compared to the 1299 - it’s that top end where the extra power really makes the difference - not too different to 160 mph but where the 1299 starts to run out of steam the V4 just keeps hammering up to 180.

Saw the new V4R at the bike show and it looked fantastic - massive money but it’s astonishing that you can buy a bike with the potential for 241hp off the shelf when it’s not too many years since that was MotoGP territory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Well here’s a 1299 vs V4, looks like 2nd gear roll on. Not much in that. Can’t find same for 959 v 1299

• Like Like x 1
  7. yes its massive money but as a mate of mine pointed out (hes a car man) to get that sort of performance out of 4 wheels your looking at least 6 figure number. He couldnt belive how good value super bikes are compared to super cars.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. This was the side by side timings for the V4 vs 1299 - nothing in it until right at the very top end.
    It’s not a surprising result as the higher the speed to more horsepower you need to continue to accelerate and overcome the aerodynamic drag. These bikes are obviously geared to accelerate in a very linear fashion up to the point where drag overcomes the horsepower - as the curve only starts to flatten right near maximum speed.

Figures for V2 are below as well it stays in touch until about 110 and then the gap gets wider. It’s geared slightly lower but even with taller gearing it wouldn’t be able to go much faster as it doesn’t have the hp to overcome the drag.

These are ‘as tested’ figures rather than manufacturers claimed so in absolute ideal conditions with the perfect launch and tiny test rider then possibly Ducati achieved better.
    19E2B269-0CF8-4112-B292-081CA4523277.jpeg
    64368D9C-26A4-4544-8571-8340AB0BB196.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. @LiveFast......
    Interesting. To me that underlines why the baby Pani’s are such good road bikes. Real world speed is plenty quick enough. And you feel like you are riding it rather than being strapped to a rocket.
    My arse dyno says my s1000rr gen 4 is significantly quicker than the v2 at all speeds. I believe it is faster than the v4 and 1299’s too (not checked this). It certainly feels faster than the 2018 V4s I owned.
    Irrelevant really as they are all so fast!

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Mate has tricked sthou and he said to me he couldnt catch my 1299 onto back straight at Almeria. Admittedly if both bikes had been ridden by more competant people, esp mine, then things mightve been different. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Amazed a V2 is quicker than a 1299 to 60. Does it have launch control?

12. Does the 12? If it has, Ive not found it. :D

13. According to the Ducati specification blurb, neither do. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Makes you wonder how two bikes of equal weight, the one with 30% less power gets to 60 quicker.

15. Shorter gearing ? Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rider makes a massive difference to lap times regardless of bike for sure.
    I was significantly faster on my Daytona 675 than my 959 simply through familiarity. I did not do many track days on the 959 - possibly 4 max. It took me 6 full days on the GSXR 750 to go quicker than the 675 too. Now I am quite a bit faster on it as I am used to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Just checked and oddly the 1299 is 10kg lighter than the V2, 190kg (wet) vs 200kg (wet). Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Not odd at all - all the shite that euro5 adds really piles on the pounds

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I’ve ridden my v2 when I had it back to back with a 899 on fast roads that I know well and I can give opinions, but I don’t want to offend anyone.. put it this way, my heart sank, when I realised that anywhere between 4000-6500rpm the 899 felt like it had 20hp more (confirmed by MR as all being to do with emissions leaning, where it’s pulling back timing at those revs), and it was running 10 degrees cooler and fuelling nicer (although it had termis and upmap) chassis wise the 899 felt a touch lower and ‘flatter’ rather than having quite a bit of weight transfer on the v2. I still like the features on the v2 but my god I wish 9d bought a 959 corse as I’m convinced I’d still have it now

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The larger capacity bikes all have slower claimed 0-60 times than their middleweight counterparts.

Although in the real world it’s incredibly difficult to reproduce a manufacturers claimed 0-60 time - I’m convinced they have Dani Pedrosa or some other tiny ultra skilled rider perform the test over and over again in different conditions until they get the best time.

Bikes like the Diavel are quicker to 60 than any sportsbike - it’s kind of an irrelevant figure as a measurement of sportsbike performance - even a V4R is going to be beaten by a Diavel in a 0-60 drag.

The 899 has a quicker claimed 0-60 than any of the Panigales and it’s fairly easy to see why.

The single greatest difference is the final drive ratio - horsepower and small weight differences mean very little when the power output of all of these bikes is easily enough to drive 1st gear to 60mph as fast as the ratio allows.

Gearbox is same for all of the V-Twin Panigales 1st 37/15 / 2nd 30/16 / 3rd 27/18 / 4th 25/20 / 5th 24/22 / 6th 23/24

Final Drive
    899 15/44
    959/V2 15/43
    1199/1299 15/39

Tiny difference in tyre circumference.

200/55-17 180/60-17 Difference
    Circum. inches (mm)
    80.62 (2047.69) 80.12 (2035.12) -0.49 (-12.57) -0.6%

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information