1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet Another Belts Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by midlifecrisis, May 12, 2021.

1. more controversy re: best method to undo. Only my opinion, but overall I would say undoing retaining screws for fixed and mobile tensioner housings is far from easy as a generalisation. The access is tricky, the passage of time can make them hard to budge but the icing on the cake is the use of shallow head allen screws* as standard because if you use anything but a quality, snug fitting** allen tool bit and you are not close to perpendicular on application (much easier for this to happen due to the shallow heads) then there is a good chance of slipping and damaging the *driving* surface area which was reduced in the first place!*. If this happens, or you come across std fixings that already have damaged heads (high chance of this**) then all is not lost necessarily.

#21 Chris, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
  2. Oi, get your own cute neighbour who needs Ducati assistance!... I'm sure they are rare! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Thanks for putting me right. I was nearly there, it was a long time ago.

4. Thanks again for all the advice. I’ve got my smug face on this evening as I have successfully changed my belts. I bought a Teng Tools 1/2” drive Allen set and my T-bar undid the super-tight bolts with ease (and a loud ‘crack’). The belt change was straightforward apart from me not noticing until after I had tensioned the horizontal belt that I had somehow managed to put the old belt back on the vertical cylinder so had to start again. Doh!!
    I plan to re-check the tension in a week or two. The next job is new tyres as I’ve discovered that the current one, while still in almost unused condition, are 16 years old. I think better safe than sorry is the way to go with old tyres.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information