1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yorkshire Meet Sun 18 Aug

Discussion in 'Rideouts & Events' started by benjit, Aug 13, 2013.

1. I would venture to suggest the more generally accepted form of that particular saying is "thrash the arse off it".

The same way as a mate of mine (motocrosser, quite good too) ALWAYS says and it sounds stupid "the race was going well but there was one guy I couldn't get rid of, so I just hit the pin and left him for dead."

If you are going to use a metaphor, use the right one and don't mix them. My mate clearly doesn't understand what sort of "pin" he's meant to be talking about.

Sorry. :biggrin:

2. I think he’s a little green behind the ears, but you can’t change the spots on an old dog.

My guess is that if he doesn't start to get the metaphors right then the fan is gonna hit the roof. :upyeah:

:wink:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Blimey supervee, no need to 'pull the pin'!

Maybe it depends on your perspective - I have always understood the phrase to be 'kick(ing) the arse out of it', refering to over encouraging a horse with spurs, i.e. over extending capability (a bad thing and relevant to context of my message). It is certainly an expression that is in common use in the armed forces (my previous career), maybe it's unique to them?

'Thrash the arse of it' surely means working a mechanical machine hard and is potentially a good thing and therefore not relevant to my message.

To clarify. I have no intention of dying. I would also rather not 'push my luck' with my wife by being out too late on the Sunday, thus limiting the chances of her being happy for me to get out again.
    :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have also heard that "having your back door smashed in", is nothing to do with been burgled :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  5. tut

6. So where and when and to where and back??

7. FFS - Head to Squires and we'll meet you there :tongue:

8. Feeling supervee's ride out coord pain here.

Why don't we revert to the original meet in harrogate and ride around the Dales plan? People were happy with that? All I wanted to establish is if anyone knows a good meeting point it Harrogate and if anyone has better knowledge of the local roads than me? If not I am happy to propose a route and lead it, but you might get frustrated by my (lack of) speed!

9. Outside the Majestic Hotel in Harrogate? What time on Sunday?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Done. Is 1030 acceptable?

11. Should be. Weather permitting.

I'm relying on you/others for a route though :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Totally agree, what time will you need to leave home for a 1030 RV? Just thinking we can have a last minute check that the weather is acceptable to ensure no one ends up sat outside the Majestic getting damp!

I am happy to propose a route. Will get on to it and post it up for comment (riddicule)!

13. Depending on traffic it'd take me around an hour to get there.

14. Ditto, so shall we make a call and post on here at about 0900? That'll give people a chance to get suited and booted and to Harrogate in plenty of time.

Forecast looks OK at the moment.....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thank god u lot have made a decision,can't cope,u will be asking "what are u wearing" next:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Majestic has at least three entrances............just saying.

17. What are you wearing:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I will be on the red ducati making lots of noise!

19. Can't come,I'm working and anyway ET has the same bike as me and Harrogate isn't big enough for the both of us :biggrin:

20. A59 to Fewston, back road to Greenhow, B6265 to Pateley Bridge and Ripon, A6108 through Masham to Leyburn, A684 to Bedale, minor roads back to rejoin A6108 near Masham (or minor roads all the way to Ripon), back to Ripon then A61 back to Harrogate. Comes up just shy of 90 miles. Added to the ride(s) to and from Harrogate, does this seem a reasonable proposition. Some of the roads are not that fast, but scenic. Thoughts?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information