1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Airbox 2017 On 2015/16 Bikes!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Matt23, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Passed on the part numbers to my dealer and all parts except the airbox lid, which is for the Japanese market, are already fitted to my 2016 PP. The air box parts changed with my16 and 17 . If you have an older model 2015 it has the more restricted air box intake

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. hi!
    had the chance to speak with the ducati India tech head last week, he also recommended that I do the air box mod for my 2015 DVT
    make a world of difference in power especially in hot conditions ( on which we have plenty of :J

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I would like to know how big a job it is to fit the air box. Anyone fitted yet or about to fit ? Explanation and photos would be welcome. If the oil consumption is reduced then over time I guess the mod will pay for itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I haven't done the mod yet, but I ordered the parts and looked over the schematics with the dealer. All the parts deal with the air box lid. There is a gasket, spacer, new lid, and some kind of air deflector (flap of plastic). So I anticipate it being as easy as removing the tank and essentially following the steps to get to the air filter for an air filter change.

5. Ok , good luck, look forward to seeing how you get on and what differences you experience after fitting.:sunglasses:

6. With a new airbox and improved flow, surely the A/F ratio will be changed and require a new map? Maybe the map uploaded to 2016/2017 bikes differs to 2015 bikes. Might be worth a chat to see as anyone with a 2015 may find they don't get the expected result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The bike 'should' work it out itself

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. I think the problem is the airbox, so the map stays the same and the airbox is changed and the problem is fixed. The map is already good, it is the airbox that is causing issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. I really like the look of the opening on the 2017 airbox lid. 1486842865797815872317.jpg

10. Just got me parts. FYI the lid on the left is the new one. I'll let everyone know how it goes with regards to install.

11. Got the parts fitted last night. Took the bike out for a ride today. The flat spot is gone! Throttle response is a lot more smooth. In 4th gear around 80-90 km/hr (maybe 3000rpm) if you crack it open it accelerates smooth all the way to the powerband.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Be useful to have a step by step guide to deinstall/reinstall :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I thought about that... if you can change the air filter you can change the lid haha! Here's a quick and dirty. Remove seat, remove rear side panels, remove front side panels, remove front black side panel bracket things, remove panels with DUCATI lettering on them, remove panel around the "key", remove gas cap, remove gas tank cover, remove gas tank (I undid the wire at the bottom and just moved it over to the side so I didn't have to split the fuel line), remove fabric toque thing, remove airbox lid, move mass airflow sensor(I think that's what it is) from old lid to new one, install rubber onto new lid, install other rubber into hole in front of air box carefully fitting for a tight seal against everything, install spacer onto air filter, install new lid, install everything else in reverse and voila you're done! It seemed overwhelming but in the end it only took 2.5 hours.

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Ducati have just made the Multistrada 1200 2017 parts colleague available on the Maintenance web page. So we are now able to directly compare the air box parts for the 2015, 2016 and 2017 versions. According the parts catalogue there is no difference between the 2015 and 2016 air box parts. There three changes to parts and three new parts for the 2017 air box, highlighted in the diagram below:
    [​IMG]
    • 16 - are changed rubber mounts for the two MAP sensors [now 8291D521B, was 8291D521A]. ~ £3 each.
    • 34 - a redesign of the airbox sound absorbing cover [now 48610992A, was 48610991A]. ~ £35.
    • 26 - the new upper cover of the air box, with the much larger opening [now 24715541A, was 48610991A]. See the photos of both parts side by side, as posted by @neulee. ~ £33
    • 37 - new part, called at Gasket [78811581A]. ~ £11
    • 38 - new part, called Seal Airbox - Tank [78811592A]. ~ £18
    • 39 - new part, called Spacer [7131B841A]. ~£4
    NB. estimated prices based various European suppliers (no one had all the parts listed) and an GBR/Euro exchange rate of 1.18, with no allowance for P&P.

The last 4 parts (26, 37, 28 & 39) are those that @Matt23 identified as being required in the first post of the thread. This looks right assuming that the new airbox sound absorbing cover (34) is not too different, especially as it the most expensive part. The 4 parts should cost under £75, so it will be interesting to hear what improvement they make. The change would probably be worth doing at the same time as an air filter clean (every 9,000 miles) or change (every 18,000 miles) as the hardest part will be removing the side fairings and tank. See Workshop manual for more details.

Out of interest I looked at the parts list for the new Multistrada 950 and it uses the same upper cover of the air box (26), airbox sound absorbing cover (34), gasket (37) & spacer (39). The Seal Airbox - Tank part is a slightly different part number (1200: 78811592A, 950: 78811591B). There are a few other differences to the pipework and more interestingly the air filter has a different part number [1200: 42610491A, 950: 42610341B].

#34 steveb123, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  15. After having an ECU update during my service last week I'm happy enough with the current performance to honestly say that I'm not going to consider modifying the airbox. I've probably got another year of ownership and I'll be trading it in when the warranty runs out anyway. I just can't comprehend what an improvement would be like over what I have now. It's just that good already.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Well in theory it "should", but the reality is that we just don't know the parameter range that the existing map is designed to work within. There is a high probability that as JH indicated, changing the A/F ratio without a map which is known to work within an extended A/F range is likely to have limited to no effect.

17. Can't imagine it will be that much out, or you would have seen every bike with one done go BOOM!

Bear in mind that no one, not even CJS or Motorapido, have managed to do a custom map on a DVT. The algorithm and method of calculations is so complex and tied it, probably because of the variable timing element. No idea how they get around that on cars?! :)

18. Not necessarily. Lambda and knock sensors et al are pretty good at protecting engines. Increasing airflow doesn't automatically equate to a different resultant mixture, it's more likely that potential of exploiting the increased airflow isn't present.

Well clearly they do. I have a Nissan GT-R R35 with a custom ECU map and the Nissan ECU's are encrypted to stop tuners playing with them. Every man and his dog can now play with maps now as there are so many options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. But aren't you saying it won't potentially compromise above?? o_O The point is that anyone who does this mod has no choice: they have to allow the bike to do it. And what is you have a system fitted and remove the sensors.... :Facepalm:

Yeah I know, I just wonder how different the Ducati can be. I have read/heard first hand that the software itself is pretty robust to 'hacking' for fuel mapping by third party software, not sure of that's a simple Ducati provided software key handshake or additional security. :upyeah:

20. BTW @Rainman can I get a go on the GT-R :D

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information