1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. My 750 has an alloy one, as dose my 400. Not the same as the 900 though.

2. ok, I broke all four bolts holding the axle in the forks.

#hamfist

3. I know, Lumbux has got an early 750 with an ally swingarm..........I was talking about my bike.........It needs a longer pivot rod to have circlips if an ally swingarm is fitted.

.......As Wolfram's bike has already got an ally swingarm, he will also need a longer pivot rod if he wants to fit circlips, unless it already is the longer one with the grooves.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I snap on on my 400 when I picked it up, had to strip it to put it in the back of the car. Drilled it out and replaced with stainless.

5. They probably needed changing anyway ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. they definitely do!

I am on the train back to Venice, having spent a good afternoon in Bologna. I booked the factory tour. Took lots of photos of a race spec engine in the museum. Great colour scheme I think I will copy. Great detail on the oil lines and the wiring of bolt heads etc.

if you go, get there early and register to obtain a ticket. Then walk 500 yards past the factory gates to the end of the road. On the corner is a good 'hostearia' serving turines of pottatoes, cheese and bacon. Delicios and 10€ with Coffee.

Ducati store is tiny, but at the end of the road (in another direction) is a big Ducati franchise, with bikes and a lot of clothing, helmets, etc. Same prices as the shop.

• Like Like x 2
  7. This is the picture. It is a 904cc that won Paris-Dakar in 1990 and 1994 (Edi Orioli). Fitted in a Cagiva Elefant.
    [​IMG]

#47 wolfram, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. the plaque didn't mention magnesium casings, but could have been. I wonder what the blue bolt on the hydraulic clutch is?

9. sorry about the links, microsofr
    windowsphone will not give me a share link to cut and paste in the image tool on this forum. Have tried multiple times to circumvent this by pretending it is to share on twitter or facebook etc, but the image tool rejects these links.

I am about done with this phone. Had it since 2013. I bought it in protest for all the hype the iphone 6 was getting. On paper it is better than iphone 6. But in usability it sucks. The satnav should be brilliant, but the phone gets so hot when it is on, the battery barely lasts an hour. Cortana is great now, but have spent 20 months waiting for ir. It still isn't universally availiable in all text windows.

10. Not sure there is an actual paint code for the white frame but was always told, and I've tried with excellent results touching up with Vauxhall Polar White.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wolfram,

Got some information some where on the white, I will find it out, but i think it is bought as a base coat (sorry I am not up on paints) and then it's clear finished. I touched my frame up as I felt a full respray was not needed. I did use polar white but found it not quite right. I think this could also depend on how your frame paint has faded if you are only doing a touch up. I went to a local paint suppliers and matched it to the following.
    lechler 29184 white vehicle code MS CW9100. This was a cellulose paint and found i could sand it smooth and buff up well when I got any drips but don't think this is good with petrol so may not have been best choice.

Here it is,

White Frame Model Colours | Ducati Forum

Cheers Gaz

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Well, finally got the exhaust off!

[​IMG]
    Needed to use an angle grinder on the nuts; took them down to the stud, then chisel to knock them round the thread anticlockwise
    [​IMG]
    also doing this on the intake manifold bolts - but need the engine out of the frame to reach one of them...

...and the engine is now separated from the frame!
    [​IMG]
    OK - I have been buying some literature recently. I got a copy of the April 1991 'Bike' magazine, which has a review of the new 900SS and a picture on the front cover. It seems there was more than one early colour scheme.

For example, this bike has black Brembo's

[​IMG]

my Brembo's are gold. The demo bike had a black engine (with relief in silver)
    [​IMG]
    My engine casings were never black - only clear lacquer.
    [​IMG]

The picture in the magazine shows a factory bike for the press to ride around Bologna - maybe it was a type of prototype? or maybe an Italian spec?

So - opinions on black or gold Brembos?

Phil

#54 wolfram, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  13. 1991 price list just acquired from ebay. 900SS was £7499 (about half the cost of an 851SP). An online inflation calculator converts that to about £15,000 now.

This information will be used to justify future expenditure - So far I have not spent a penny on the bike save from the modest purchase price. All that is about to change!

#55 wolfram, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  14. I think the bike on the front of that mag was one of only 4 made as it has the same clutch assembly as my 750, the slave cylinder is on the inside of the clutch case. If you look closely at the photo you can see HC on the clutch case. This is the paso engine I believe derived from the older Pantha units, as is the engine in my 750, also the same as the 750 sport. They were all black engine. I think they used what ever was left in the factory at the time to make them up. I have an original sales brouchre for my 750, it has been a big help.

15. Ducati changed the calipers halfway through the first year. Early ones were black then gold.

Engine cases were silver and I think they were painted originally, clutch and alternator covers were black. My engine has been stripped back to ally and cleaned with ACF50. I just wipe it with ACF periodically to keep it looking nice.

16. Am loving this thread , loads of interesting info coming out , and giving me inspiration to buy and take on a project of my own . Thanks fed much , please keep it goin !

17. I nearly bought that mag myself. Black Brembo's I've not seen before, so that adds some uniqueness. I think the black engine against the white frame is bang on. And the silver reliefs just add to it.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information